Bitcoin Price Thread

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by Magna, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Jakobsberg

Jakobsberg

Seems so. Bit of extra volatility for first day it gets above 10,000. Maybe expected with all the publicity and round number sell target. Then parabolic curve continues.....

Another Barrons article to draw in more money from the US middle class?

https://www.barrons.com/articles/bitcoin-storms-wall-street-1512188427

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    #261     Dec 3, 2017
  2. ventop

ventop

where are corrections to jump in the uptrend?

#262     Dec 3, 2017
  3. Jakobsberg

Jakobsberg

I am guessing banks, funds etc are buying to sell to clients in few months when more products come to market. As long as it keeps getting more accessible to buy, more publicity in mainstream publication, then just hodl ;)

In many ways Ethereum is better, just not as well known..... yet.

#263     Dec 3, 2017
  4. ventop

ventop

thanks, but I have doubts about Ethereum, its potential in comparison with Bitcoin

#264     Dec 3, 2017
  5. neke

neke

The party din is hitting hard on my ear-drums, but I am not joining.

I remember all too well starting in the market (anything Nasdaq) in December 1999 as the party noise got to me, shortly before the peak.

#265     Dec 3, 2017
  6. Jakobsberg

Jakobsberg

But is it Nasdaq 1999 or 1995 with lots more to go that is the real question?
    Since its still quite hard for the dumb joe public to buy I'm guessing more to go. Once my dad starts buying I'm out :)

#266     Dec 3, 2017
  7. Jakobsberg

Jakobsberg

Bitcoin was first, more well known and most quoted by the media but Ether is more efficient for transactions and more versatile. Code written some years after BTC. I have some of each since its possible that Ether is the Facebook to bitcoins Friendster (or bebo or friends reunited etc). I will have a look a ripple when time but most of the rest look like junk.

Any specific reason you have doubts about Ethereum or is it just because BTC is the biggest just now?

#267     Dec 3, 2017
  8. johnarb

johnarb

Bitcoin has been compared to the 1999 Nasdaq (tech) bubble and the Tulip Mania bubble. I was around during the Nasdaq bubble, and I remember, at work, at parties, at family get-together, at hangouts (drinks or even bowling!), everyone was into stocks.

I've mentioned Bitcoin in similar situations for a few years now, and I get no reaction. No one has a clue. To this day, I don't know anyone in person who has a bitcoin or any type of cryptos.

I do not see the current Bitcoin stage as the same as the Nasdaq 1999 stage. It simply doesn't add up. The market penetration for investors in the US is probably less than 5% and I'm referring to the most experienced speculators, such as the people here on ET.

“The whole market cap of all [cryptocurrencies] is $300 billion. That’s nothing. The NASDAQ at its high, in the 1999 bubble, was $6 trillion, and the NASDAQ was a U.S.-led bubble,” he said. Cryptocurrency, on the other hand, is “a global phenomenon,” with the majority of trading volumes concentrated outside of the U.S.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/cry...p-to-reach-2-trillion-in-2018-mike-novogratz/

#268     Dec 3, 2017
    Cuddles and Hoi like this.
  9. Jakobsberg

Jakobsberg

johnarb - was at a conference with professional scientists last week (everyone with graduate degrees, computer literate some of them computer modellers). Average age maybe 40ish. Nearly everyone heard about BTC, many know details, mentioned often at lunch or coffee breaks..... but few actually bought.... so lots of folks on the sidelines to keep the bubble going....

One person at work in IT dept said he had 800 BTC at one point but sold at the 'crazy' price of 100 usd. Lol.

Anyway it is fun

#269     Dec 3, 2017
    johnarb likes this.
  10. johnarb

johnarb

I didn't fix my post so I know message was not clear. I meant to say when I mentioned it over the years that no one had a clue (of course nearly everyone has heard of it now).

I stopped mentioning Bitcoin over a year ago, but if anyone talks to me about it now (like some of the people I mentioned to in the past) , I still discuss at length as it's a subject that's very interesting to me.

#270     Dec 3, 2017