BitCoin - Intellectual Fraud or a Stunning Idea??

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by gmst, Apr 2, 2013.

So, what really is BitCoin???

1. stunning, refreshing, extremely innovative idea

38 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. intellectual, mathematical and computational masturbation

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. media to waste electricity and computing power

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Only aim of idea is to make profits for innovators

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  5. No wonder only a Japanese can come up with such an imaginary, illusionary, delusionary, grandeur ide

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. MadeMan

MadeMan

well i gues u can still jump on the Litecoin Train ? then ..

#81     Apr 4, 2013
  2. achilles28

achilles28

I'd like too, but not sure that's possible either. The problem is the mining hardware. Nobody sells it. Butterfly will take orders, but they haven't delivered. They're talking huge production numbers (1500 units a month), but again, not a single delivery. LiteCoin was supposed to be GPU-neutral, favoring CPU power. But the community figured out a way to run the algo on GPU's - thus favoring ASIC chips again. Problem goes back to supply - Avalon (sold out) or Butterfly (no product).

I downloaded all the software yesterday to see what kind of hashrate I could get on my quad core 2.4 Mhz machine - 5.5 Megahash/s. At that rate, at this difficulty, I could mine 3 dollars worth of Litecoin, a month..... lol And the difficulty is only going up.

All about the hardware now...

Try ASICMINER. It's shares in a professional mining consortium that pays dividends in bitcoin. I gotta look into it further. But for the average guy who wants to go long bitcoin revenue, it could be decent.

#82     Apr 4, 2013
  3. I thought the Avalon stuff was building upon receipt of payment? Yeah, Butterfly is an outright scam.

#83     Apr 4, 2013
  4. gmst

gmst

Thanks.

Wiki link didn't make sense to me. There is a link in the wiki link. Clicking on it took me here that shows some graphs. Again didn't make sense to me what those different lines on the graph represent.

http://eligius.st/~luke-jr/samples/800MH-3/

I wanted to know a simple number: On my 2.4 GHz, core 2 duo 4 GM RAM machine, if I run it non-stop for 30 days 12 hours a day, how much money can I make.

#84     Apr 4, 2013
  5. gmst

gmst

Useful information. On your machine, how much can you mine BitCoin in a month?

I wonder if with Bitcoin, if you can mine it enough in dollar terms to even pay the electricity cost of running your machine?

#85     Apr 4, 2013
  6. It's still at a year to cover your investment.

#86     Apr 4, 2013
  7. achilles28

achilles28

Avalon outlined three batches. All were preordered months in advance. Batch#1 customers (ordered last fall), have begun to receive machines (5-6 months later). Batch#2 is sold out. Still under production? Conflicting reports on Batch#3 (600 units). Heard reports it took place last week and sold out in 30 mins. But on the Avalon site, its says they're opening preorders, at an undetermined time?

Batch#3 machines are now only priced in Bitcoin = ~80 BTC per rig = 10K a machine. Bit of a jump.

This is all small-scale, cottage industry production. Avalon has a facility, but it's very low capacity. I think they preordered to fund development costs with board designer, then bought the actual equipment to make the boards. It's not like Foxconn. One or two dyes, that put out I dunno. Maybe 50 boards a day? Maybe less? So even if you get in on Batch#3 (if there is a Batch#3), don't expect delivery until the end of 2013. Maybe 2014?
    http://launch.avalon-asics.com/

#87     Apr 4, 2013
  8. 80 BTC a rig is worth it. If my coins weren't locked up in Mt. Gox I would order that today.

#88     Apr 4, 2013
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

There are Butterfly pre-orders on Ebay, so the possible scam is switched to the average Ebay seller.

Anyhow here is what the guy says:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Butterfly-L...039?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7fccd34f

"This device as of this time would generate $832.25 a month!
    Bitcoin is currently valued at $86 per BTC. "

So this machine mines almost 10 BTC per month. (probably not true) Well, why would anyone sell it for 1400$ or less if it can earn its price just in 1 month? Maybe the Butterfly Lab guys realized this and that's why there is no delivery.

They are running the machines themselves, assuming they actually exist...

---------------------------

Here is a quote from Reddit, the guy seems to know what he is talking about:

"Butterfly labs is rising prices in response to bitcoin price increase. There is a risk however, and that is that the machine you order will not arrive for a long time. That is a problem. Let's assume it takes 10 months for a BFL machine to arrive so roughly 2014.

It is possible the network will have about 1ph/s of power by the end of the year. So your 25gh/s machine would be able to capture about 0.05btc/day when you get it(factoring in slippage, invalid blocks, pool outages, what have you). So you're looking at a 200-day recovery cost to get your 10btc back.

Let's assume that in the next 12 months (to 2015) the hashrate of the network goes up to 10ph/s. Modelling your profit in those 12 months under these conditions you will only recover 5btc in that year. It will take you a total of 10 years to recover 10btc.

So by halving the hashrate and doubling the price and having eternal delivery rates (if at all) BFL is putting you at considerable risk of never ever seeing the BTCs you paid ever again."

#89     Apr 4, 2013
  10. achilles28

achilles28

Basically, nothing. My machine is very similar. Dell Precision T3400. It calculated ~3 dollars worth of LTC a month. BTC difficulty is much higher. Even low gigahash rates don't earn much anymore (0.5 BTC/month). A machine without GPU's (CPU's crunch the blocks much slower), we're talking low megahash rates. Pennies....

#90     Apr 4, 2013