BitCoin - Intellectual Fraud or a Stunning Idea??

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by gmst, Apr 2, 2013.

So, what really is BitCoin???

1. stunning, refreshing, extremely innovative idea

38 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. intellectual, mathematical and computational masturbation

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. media to waste electricity and computing power

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Only aim of idea is to make profits for innovators

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  5. No wonder only a Japanese can come up with such an imaginary, illusionary, delusionary, grandeur ide

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. Pekelo

Pekelo

One user says that you can short via dark pools in CampBX. I wonder if there are plenty of coins to borrow...

Impressive:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Camp_BX#Major_Features

Reading the features, this is the closest to a real trading platform. Not clear if shorting is currently available or not...

#251     Apr 19, 2013
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

The strange economy of selling mining machines, or a goldpick is worth more if you pick gold with it instead of selling it:

"With no other manufactures shipping an ASIC unit you have no incentive to actually sell them to customers. BFLs 4.5GH machine was supposed to cost $150. At current price and difficulty it will get you about $30/day in BTC.

Now further consider that on a $150 unit their profit margin may be half of that. So in 2.5 days of running the machine themselves they can make as much as they could selling it to you. They are better off running the machines themselves and not actually shipping units until other manufactures do. Avalon can ship a few dozen units to show they are doing something but they have no reason do ship more. They can just manufacture them and let them run to make money. Once difficulty rises a great deal they might start shipping units."

Someone has paid 50K on Ebay for a high hashrate miner, and people called the deal stupid, but once the numbers were looked at, the machine pays for itself in 120 days... (assuming BFL hasn't shipped yet and BTC's price stays up)

Now that is some good investment with a breakeven in 4 month....

#252     Apr 20, 2013
  3. Your grammar is compelling.... as compelling as your math.

#253     Apr 21, 2013
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Alright, let's move this market. From now on I will be always in either long or short with my position. I bought in at $95, I am selling it right now at $128 and shorting it too. (on MtGox)

I put in a limit buy to cover and also to buy at $115, so if it reaches 115 I will be long again....

Virtual playing a virtual money. Who said life wasn't wonderful????

#254     Apr 22, 2013
  5. I think if we break this $130 mark we are again off to the races.

#255     Apr 22, 2013
  6. Pekelo, when will you relinquish your virtual short position? We going to $150 by morning hopefully! :)

#256     Apr 23, 2013
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Sure enough, once I went short, the price started to climb higher faster. :)

The supposed reason for that was Paypal saying that they might accept bitcoins for account funding. Anyhow, we reached the price range that I expected (140-180) although I thought we would have one more dip before it does...

Now the old (before the crash) strategy seems to be working, buy any 20-30 bucks pullback....

#257     Apr 25, 2013
  8. Daal

Daal

Do you have a link for the paypal thing? It is a rumor or is it confirmed?

#258     Apr 25, 2013
  9. Note this isn't a market call even if you are right the point is those levels don't have specific fluctuations to mention.

Paypal's <u>a good thing</u> if it happens.

#259     Apr 25, 2013
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

He didn't say it for sure, but "they were thinking about it". Just google "paypal bitcoin":

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/...hinking-about-including-the-virtual-currency/

"So I’ve been spending a lot of time looking at it, and it’s truly fascinating actually: the way that the currency’s been designed, and the way that inflation is built in to pay for miners, and all that is truly fascinating. I think that for us at PayPal, it’s just a question whether Bitcoin will make its way to PayPal’s funding instrument or not. We’re kinda thinking about it."

#260     Apr 25, 2013