BitCoin - Intellectual Fraud or a Stunning Idea??

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by gmst, Apr 2, 2013.

So, what really is BitCoin???

1. stunning, refreshing, extremely innovative idea

38 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. intellectual, mathematical and computational masturbation

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. media to waste electricity and computing power

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Only aim of idea is to make profits for innovators

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  5. No wonder only a Japanese can come up with such an imaginary, illusionary, delusionary, grandeur ide

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. gip3

gip3 Guest

Let me guess, you are one of the chosen few who sees the light?

This is a meaningless statement that address exactly zero of what I said. It does not preclude the fact that bitcoin might be in a speculative bubble, or that bitcoin has none of the benefits you tout.

You really really really really just want to believe that bitcoin allows you to protest the current state of the world, right?

#131     Apr 5, 2013
  2. Wulfrede

Wulfrede

But that's the thing. You can't grow bitcoins in your back yward. Sure you can mine them, but the cost is prohibitive and there are only so many. You can grow tulips much easier.

Tulips eventually shrivel and die. They are hard to transport. You can't own fractions of them. And again, anyone can grow one with a fairly trivial effort.

Emotions certainly play a role in bitcoin. I think it is very exciting. But I doubt they are the main driving factor. Can bitcoin drop back to $10? Lower? Maybe. But the price doesn't take away from what bitcoin represents. It is a store of exchangeable value. It doesn't perish, it is easily transportable and no, you can't easily make more.

Finally, I highly doubt bitcoin (or gold) is an intended hedge for the coming apocalypse. There is no actual hedge in place. If there was a real worry we'd be seeing tuna cans putting on a major rally.

/Wulfrede

#132     Apr 5, 2013
  3. achilles28

achilles28

No, no. Clearly, only you see the light....You've seen it all and done it all..... We get it... :D

Lets assume everything you said was true, for a moment. One would think transactional volume in Bitcoin would be a few thousand a day, max? Not tens of millions a day (for almost a year)? Afterall, only delusional hippy pot smokers living in their moms basement would be trading it, right? So why are hundreds of thousands being cleared, a few times a minute? Is it mostly just speculation? Like FOREX?

There's no real understanding in your posts. Only the baseless insistence it's a bubble with no value. Problem is, it does have value. You just don't understand it. Sorry.

#133     Apr 5, 2013
  4. gip3

gip3 Guest

Thanks dude - this has been incredibly education in terms of the psychology of a bubble. I mean, people wonder all the time how the tulip bubble ever got to where it is: your posts (and emotions) sort of really hits home.

Anyway, maybe I'll be prove wrong in my views. I'll be happy to eat dirt when that happens.

#134     Apr 5, 2013
  5. achilles28

achilles28

Maybe it won't be Bitcoin. Rather, 'Bitcoin' X.0

Either way, open-source, crypto banking has real traction. I suggest doing more research on the matter.

Just watch the latest transactions for awhile. It's pretty amazing:

http://blockchain.info/

#135     Apr 5, 2013
  6. gmst

gmst

See, I like the concept as such. My only worry is and it is a very big worry - what if washington passes a legislation outlawing it. Then as has been said - true use of bitcoin would be left only in illegal activities. Mainstream (Talking about milllions of people) will not accept it for transaction purposes.

You have made your point very well about the good things that the crypto currency can do and I agree. My main concern is above.

#136     Apr 5, 2013
  7. a lot of money laundering in Bitcoins.

#137     Apr 5, 2013
  8. A lot of money laundering in $20 and $100 greenbacks.

#138     Apr 5, 2013
  9. achilles28

achilles28

I agree, to an extent. I'm learning more as we go. Specifically, regulatory and legal efforts afoot to squash crypto-currencies. From what I can tell, it's difficult, if not impossible, to outlaw any one particular digital currency, like Bitcoin or Litecoin. Reason being, at it's heart, every cryptocurrency has no official name or title afixed to each unit of account. In actuality, each currency unit is just a string of random numeric digits, stored on a computer, being sent between two people that agree on it's value. It's no more as if you and I agreed a rock we picked up off the ground is worth 50 dollars, and we respect that agreement. The agreement of something holding value - which is simply an idea (outlawing ideas....) - cannot be outlawed. Nor can the random string of digits that represents that value be outlawed....They are just numbers. How can we make numbers illegal?

The second problem, is the distributed nature of the network. Each "node" represents one (or many) computers, who are parties to the transaction, or maintain the network. Like Napster, they can attempt to go after nodes, one-by-one, but there's literally millions on the network. As bitcoin grows, instead of millions on the network, there are tens of millions etc. Further, it's extremely difficult - if not impossible - to associate any IP address with a pgp key stored on the blockchain. It doesn't do that, from what I understand.

The other angle, instead of direct prosecution, is vilification. You're right. I think that's the real worry. If the DOJ or whoever can lean on big name internet retailers/banks/money transfer houses to not accept bitcoin, and sort of spin it like the currency of choice for pedophiles and terrorists, then ya. There's a problem.

But here's the rebuttal to all this. Napster back in the day, was one of the first of it's kind, commercially. The music industry leaned on the DOJ and got that shutdown. But then came Limewire, and Kaaza, which they tried to shut down with mixed success. Now Bittorrent is alive and well. Lesson is - with distributed networks, the Feds can't shut it down. The network is just so vast (hundreds of millions of users), they can't even go after a fraction of the people.... The Government simply doesn't have the resources (or capacity) to identify who is doing what, and fund all the lawsuits. So from the legal angle, theres not much of a deterrent.

This is why Bitcoin (and others) are designed to be decentralized. Remember Von Not Hous (Liberty Dollar) and e-gold? They enjoyed wild popularity but they got shut down because they were centralized. The FEDs can pick off any organization that's centralized. But grass-roots, distributed networks, there's no way. Interesting, that the Federal Prosecutor made the argument that Von Not Hous was engaged in financial terrorism because he offered a product that undermine the value of the US Dollar. See, this is big, big shit we're talking about here, and the Government is like a hawk on this stuff.

That said, the Central Banks and their Government lackeys of the world will go to war with Bitcoin if it continues to skyrocket. That's guaranteed. The ability to keep us all on the reservation, so to speak, using US dollars that they can easily print, and thus steal our savings, to fund their own nefarious wars and crap to keep them elected and money rolling in, is the basis of this entire oligarchical system. So it's gonna be a war. Very fascinating to watch.

But the amazing part of all this, and Gip3 is right, this is an age old battle. The American colonies finally rebelled against the British largely because of gun control and King George insisted the colonies use debt-backed english notes.....a tax.... It's financial warfare. Anyway, fascinating. The age-old fight against the bankers has gone digital.

#139     Apr 5, 2013
  10. gmst

gmst

Thanks for a well thought out post!
    This decentralized aspect is a very strong point of bitcoin or any crccy like that.

Pekelo and others - To what extent do you think this decentralized nature of bitcoin/crccys will make it more/exponentially difficult for government to control bitcoins proliferation?

One highly hypothetical scenario that might happen is if Russia or some other country starts supporting bitcoins. Well in that case, value will skyrocket in a day.

#140     Apr 5, 2013