BitCoin - Intellectual Fraud or a Stunning Idea??

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by gmst, Apr 2, 2013.

So, what really is BitCoin???

1. stunning, refreshing, extremely innovative idea

38 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. intellectual, mathematical and computational masturbation

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. media to waste electricity and computing power

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Only aim of idea is to make profits for innovators

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  5. No wonder only a Japanese can come up with such an imaginary, illusionary, delusionary, grandeur ide

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. benwm

benwm

"The prosecutor overseeing his case accused him (Bernard von NotHaus, Liberty Dollar creator) of 'domestic terrorism' for using them (Liberty Dollars) to undermine the government."

"Mr. von NotHaus claims he never meant the Liberty Dollar to be used as legal tender. He says he created it as 'a private voluntary currency' for those conducting business outside the government’s purview."

"In his own defense, Mr. von NotHaus testified about a 'philanthropic mission' to combat devaluation with a currency based on precious metals and asserted that he was not involved in 'a radical armed offense against the government or their money.' "

"...It was, of course, to no avail; and in 2011, a jury found him guilty after a 90-minute deliberation."
    ---

The BitCoin geeks will soon be living in prison or in exile if this thing starts getting more coverage on Bloomberg TV.

#111     Apr 5, 2013
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

I am not necessary against virtual currencies, but I have 3 grievances with Bitcoin, what is usually not mentioned:

1. The original very uneven distribution of the coins. So if it is a currency, why don't we spread it out evenly among people, or would give out as a reward for doing something good. (like blood donation) Instead we have a very few people in the beginning who gets the easy coins mined and they just wait for the rest of the people later to show up and making them rich.

This is similar when a new company CEO keeps the majority of the stocks, and let the little guys later coming in making his stocks' value skyrocket. Now if it had been widely announced right from the beginning (and an obscure message board is not a world wide announcement) so people have the choice to decide and participate right from the start, then it would be different.

2. The money supply as it is designed. Generally that is not how money supply works. Bitcoin is designed to be released with an ever slowing rate. But what if the needs of the users is different? Any currency's task is to be an exchange tool for products and services without much change over time. If the economy is growing, more money is needed, if it is contracting, the money supply needs to be curtailed. (in a perfect world)
    This function is not built into the Bitcoin whatsoever. They can't release the coins much faster than it is designed and there is no way of cutting back on the supply either....

3. Every currency during its history suffers volume loss due to loss of the physical money/coins. Ship sunk with gold on it? Well, it was lost for a few hundred years at least. Your HD died? The bitcoins are gone. More users are there, the more natural loss will occur. This is not addressed in the design...
    (I think bitcoins can be lost by sending it to the wrong address)

#112     Apr 5, 2013
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a video of one of the original designers of bitcoin saying he had already sold all of his bitcoins in the $2 range. I'm not sure you can say for a fact that the original miners ever thought the bitcoin value would be this high.

#113     Apr 5, 2013
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

It is not really the valuation, but the fact that the early birds get the easy worms. If it is a currency for the masses, why a small group of people get to hold a large chunk of the currency, based on being first, not necessary on merit or designed distribution?
    (unless you call being first a merit, but it is also valid for Ponzis)

There is a program where you can check the usage (history of coins basicly), and a huge chunk of the early coins were never used or transfered. I would love to know the reason for that.

#114     Apr 5, 2013
  5. achilles28

achilles28

I wholeheartedly agree. It's not "Bitcoin" or "Litecoin"...but the concept. A bankless currency. And this concept WORKS:

55 million USD changed hands via Bitcoin yesterday (24 hour period).

Rolling average over the past month is 20 Million USD, a day.
    http://blockchain.info/charts/estimated-transaction-volume-usd

In some cases, counterparties are transacting millions of dollars, via Bitcoin, in a single transaction....
    http://blockchain.info/largest-recent-transactions

This is revolutionary.

#115     Apr 5, 2013
  6. gip3

gip3 Guest

This is kind of silly, isn't it? There was currency before there were banks. And they weren't all metal based either (sea shell money for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_money) - or, better yet, tuna cans and cigarettes in prison today .

Bankless currency as an revolution is just ignorant of monetary history.

#116     Apr 5, 2013
  7. achilles28

achilles28

Yea, just like 1776 wasn't a revolution because the Greeks and Romans practiced democracy ~2000 years earlier.....

Are you that blind??

#117     Apr 5, 2013
  8. gkishot

gkishot

Surprisingly there is a demand for the supply of mathematically generated units.

#118     Apr 5, 2013
  9. gip3

gip3 Guest

The romans... practiced democracy? This speaks exactly to your ignorance of history in general (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_elements_of_Roman_Republic to see how limiting it was and far from democracy in the 1776 sense; And might I remind you that the romans then spent about a thousand years after the republican era in its imperial era?).

In any case, you fail to address the fact that bankless currencies exist even TODAY - in prisons, in informal bartering, and all the other mundane corners of our economic lives.

#119     Apr 5, 2013
  10. achilles28

achilles28

Split hairs much? Technically, America is a republic too. Get over yourself.

Tuna cans and honey buns aren't swapping hands in prison at the tune of 55 Million USD a day :D :D

#120     Apr 5, 2013