Bitcoin could 'bring the internet to a halt,' banking group warns

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by johnarb, Jun 18, 2018.

1. johnarb

johnarb

2. Yet another example of the status quo feeding fear, uncertainty and doubt through the gullible press.

3. It sounds like a lot of flat-eartherism. None of the problems discussed presents an existential threat to the cryptos. They seem to miss, in its entirety, the irony of defending fiat currencies by questioning how people could have faith in the underlying value of a digital currency.

johnarb likes this.
  4. johnarb

johnarb

Here's a response to the statements from the previous article.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/invest...nt-use-up-all-the-worlds-energy/#24da2941a91b

What's interesting from the way I look at it is that when these people make statements, they are showing bitcoin relevance and legitimizing the use-case. There was a time bitcoin was hardly worth a discussion.

By the way, the inaccuracy of statement below is quite over the top. It only takes simple research to know that Bitcoin does not have servers and people are running bitcoin nodes on raspberry pi's. Bitcoin can handle less than 10,000 transactions per block (currently) and solutions to scale much higher will be handled by the 2nd layer protocol (i.e. Lightning Network).

"But because every single transaction is added to the digital ledger, the report said using a cryptocurrency like bitcoin for retail transactions around the world would quickly swell the ledger beyond the capacity of computer servers to store it"

itspossible likes this.
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

Although I certainly wasn't around then I understand that at the turn of the 19th century into the 20th there were similar discussions about another new technology - autos:

"The very first gasoline-powered vehicle driven on the streets of Detroit was built by engineer Charles Brady King in 1896. It went as fast as 20 miles per hour, which was described in the newspaper as "tearing along the street at a lively rate, dodging people and teams."

The transition from the horse age to the motorized age would prove to be very dangerous. At first speeding vehicles were not a big problem, with only a few of them on Detroit streets, but the situation grew serious quickly.

....."

Scary, scary but somehow we got through it and auto/truck/bus production boomed and roads, bridges, tunnels and highways were built.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n.../04/26/auto-traffic-history-detroit/26312107/

6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Yeah, because everybody could build autos in their back yard...

7. SunTrader

SunTrader

Exactly there were dozens and dozens of small independent auto companies. Now you're "getting it".

8. schweiz

schweiz

Yes I get it. Tesla is small compared to GM, Ford, BWM, Mercedes...

9. SunTrader

SunTrader

Now try 100 or more years ago.

10. schweiz

schweiz

So we should wait for 100 years to see it happen with Tesla???
    Because that's what you suggest now.

#10     Jun 19, 2018