BIS: GBP flash crash from Oct 2016 was the result of many factors

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by mlawson71, Jan 17, 2017.

1. mlawson71

mlawson71

The ‘flash crash’ of the British pound (GBP) in early October 2016 was caused by several factors that together contributed to the unexpected movement of the currency, according to a report made by the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) in collaboration with the Bank of England, which was published over the weekend. One factor that played significant role was the time of day (early Asian trading time) but there were a number of other factors that “contributed to and amplified this market dysfunction” as well.

Visaria likes this.
  2. comagnum

comagnum

The cable had broken through major support along with the thinner trading volume in the extended hours. Seen this before - nothing new, when major support is broken all hell can break out.

athlonmank8 likes this.
  3. I dont mean this towards the OP. But who gives a shit why. What a waste of time and resources.

4. Well, it bottomed and came back to test the low of that flash crash. Great time to buy now.

5. mlawson71

mlawson71

I think that a lot of people wanted to know why because it happened so suddenly, quickly and without any visible reason and it probably wiped out a lot of accounts. And even if people weren't personally affected, simple curiosity, which can be a pretty powerful thing, drove them to want to know why it happened.

athlonmank8 likes this.
  6. Im hoping that's all it is. Every time I read an article like this is just seems to imply more rules and regulations are going to be coming :/

7. mlawson71

mlawson71