BioComp Profit 8 - Trading the ES

Discussion in 'Journals' started by chanelops, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Equalizer,

You're talking about what BioComp calls 'models'. They may or may not be equivalent to a NN, I'm not sure. But in any case, I'm using a couple hundred of them in this system.

I got a 'long' signal from the system tonight, so I exited the short at 899.75, for a gain of 44 points, or + $2,200. So the status is:

Open Position:

S&P mini (ESZ8) - LONG @ 899.75

Closed equity: $2,675

3 trades down, 27 to go.

#11     Nov 11, 2008
  2. Got a "short' signal this evening, and it executed at 903.50, for a gain of 3.75 points, or + $187.50.

The Profit 8 system is set up to provide signals for trading at the close, but I have been delaying my trading until I get the data from my data source, which is about 4 hours later. Some days that delay is advantageous, other times it hurts. If I had traded MOC today, I would have doubled the profit on this trade, as the price slumped after regular trading hours. I may look into doing that going forward, at least some of the time.

The status now is:

Open Position:

S&P mini (ESZ8) - SHORT @ 903.50

Closed equity: $2,862.50

4 trades down, 26 to go.

#12     Nov 13, 2008
  3. Considering that the low of the day was 816.75 and your system was long from EOD 11/11/08, MOC orders are the least of your worries with this trading system.

In the 4 trades so far I see way too much risk for the return. Let's see what the next 26 trades are like.

#13     Nov 13, 2008
  4. Yes, I agree that worrying about MOC in the context of that particular trade was a bit like measuring with a micrometer for something you're going to chop with a hatchet. It just happened to trigger the thought, and I figured I'd put it down, in case I actually start trading MOC some day.

As far as risk for the return, of course that's a matter of individual judgment, and I can easily understand how someone might find this system too risky. Someone else might not. But that's a discussion best held after the results are in, as you pointed out.

In the meantime, last night's short is looking pretty good -- which means it will probably turn into a loss!

#14     Nov 14, 2008
  5. Got a 'long' signal Friday evening, and executed it at tonight's open, a few minutes ago. Gain on the trade was 40.5 points, or + $2,025.

So our status is

Open Position:

S&P mini (ESZ8) - LONG @ 863.00

Closed equity: $4,887.50

5 trades down, 25 to go.

W/L=4/5 or 80%

(I'm expecting a W/L figure around 70%, long term)

#15     Nov 16, 2008
  6. LONG ES Friday evening??
    And closed at open tonight with 40 points gain?

What were the entry and exit prices?

Strange....

#16     Nov 16, 2008
  7. ctrlbrk

ctrlbrk

Jahajee, he means he closed his short (back two posts) for a 40.5pt gain and went long tonight.

#17     Nov 16, 2008
  8. A primary requirement of backtesting and system development in general is proper reporting.

What does thoe mean?

" Got a "short' signal this evening, and it executed at 903.50, for a gain of 3.75 points, or + $187.50. "

what gained 3.75 points? the short signal?

Shoddy and unconvincing.

Do this:

Buy 10 ES @ 890
    Sell 10 ES @ 905 - P/L 150 points
    or Sell Short 20 ES @905 (reverse lonng to short)

#18     Nov 16, 2008
  9. ctrlbrk

ctrlbrk

No, he is either short or long, he is never flat. The posts detail it, you need to follow from one post to the other.

#19     Nov 16, 2008
  10. It was made clear in the inital post that this is an End of Day swing trading system and trades would be posted in the evening. Each trade has been clearly posted in sequence. Just start at the beginning and read forward.

#20     Nov 16, 2008