Billionaire trader John Arnold retires at 38

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by turkeyneck, May 3, 2012.

1. #31     May 3, 2012
  2. #32     May 3, 2012
  3. insidertraders

insidertraders Guest

The oil and and natural gas markets don't need market makers okay. You mean manipulating markets. penny stocks are too small for his billion dollar hedge fund to manipulate or trade. position limit should be 1%. now with the new rules banks cannot invest in his fund and the clients can longer be secret his clients must be disclosed.

this is the reason his fund was closed. his clients want their money back. his service is no longer needed.

#33     May 3, 2012
  4. Nice link, thanks

to his defense, almost all hedge funds and companies go through a year of bad drawdowns. Harvard management company ($30bi) lost nearly 30% in '09. If I recall correctly, about one third of all hedge funds lost money last year. LTM and Quantum even have drawdowns that go for a year plus.

insidertrading - 1. with that name, you're either an incredibly stupid crook or an incredibly stupid want to be. 2. I don't think you're in a position to analyze John like that as if you're his step mother.

#34     May 3, 2012
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

#35     May 3, 2012
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

#36     May 3, 2012
  7. I don't see any evidence this guy was a 'whiz kid' or good "trader". I really don't. I see a gambler that bet big on macro play and hit it big. Thats pretty much it, he got lucky with opm and now can't make a dime.

#37     May 3, 2012
  8. What's this gibberish 'whiz kid' thing?

So much for giving credit where credit is due. The guy was a solid trader, built strong systems and cleaned up for a long time. If this isn't a display of raw talent then I don't know what is. You only get lucky for so long...

#38     May 3, 2012
  9. yeah, i just read an article where they call him 'whiz kid' but more to the point, i don't see any trading prowess with these huge macro bets.

if i were in his shoes heck yeah, i'd retire too. take the your vegas style 'winnings' an run.

#39     May 3, 2012
  10. Whadda ya gotta do to get your props? Pretty tough review of a guy that had to be awfully right more than just a few times. I know nothing about the man but I will hazard a guess that this is one smart Texan!

#40     May 3, 2012