Billionaire trader John Arnold retires at 38

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by turkeyneck, May 3, 2012.

1. Brass

Brass

I know he's an energy trader, and I figured there would be spreading involved. But any other or further details on his style and trade duration? It's hard not to be curious.

#11     May 3, 2012
  2. This is a good example of a trader who can PROVE he made money trading.

When you local guru says they can retire, but still would really, really like your $2000.....ask to see results about how well off they are.

In this case, regulation works.

and Zuck will make this guy look poor...

#12     May 3, 2012
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

He looked for mispricings on the nat gas curve. He seemed to be pretty active further out in the curve where there is less liquidity. From my understanding, he held trades for awhile, meaning a few months vs days.

#13     May 3, 2012
  4. Brass

Brass

Interesting, thanks. Yes, I gather that the farther out you go, the longer you probably have to hold on to a trade to exit with any dignity. :D

#14     May 3, 2012
  5. hoop121

hoop121

he put on very few trades, but when he did they were extremely large and aggressive.

he made a huge bet to go long right before Katrina and that's where the legend first really started grow

there's a lot of Dodd-Frank type pressure on energy company's to be more transparent about their trading activities and since his trading style was based on being secretive then this would kill his fund.

if you ever heard that Centaurus was in the market then you either got out of the way or followed their lead.

#15     May 3, 2012
  6. etile

etile

Make hay while the sun shines. Fortune favors the bold & the opportunistic.

#16     May 3, 2012
  7. insidertraders

insidertraders Guest

Enron was about market manipulation with insider trading. These insiders were manipulating the electricity market in 2000 and causing blackouts etc. that was what deregulation did it opened the door for market manipulation.

Frontrunning orders an d market manipulation is the 'secret'. By far market manipulation.

insider trading, market manipulation, a nd front running is the holy grail of wall street but it's illegal to the average joe trader. these guys like john arnold is like Goldman Sachs traders they are above the laws how do you thing such as openly fraudulent securities can be sold and obvious fraud can occurr and nobody goes to jail?

#17     May 3, 2012
  8. Easy... You find muppets in the mkt who would hand you this money. How big was Amaranth? How much of Brian Hunter's drawdown went to Arnold?

#18     May 3, 2012
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

#19     May 3, 2012
  10. jem

jem

So if you look around at the market and do not see the muppet does that mean it is you?

After I traded for a living (for about 7 years) I no longer have a desire to gamble in Las Vegas. Now, I realize it it is my, I will not be your muppet reflex.

#20     May 3, 2012