Billionaire Joe Lewis still long BSC @ 110?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by turkeyneck, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Oh, you mean the female.

#21     Mar 14, 2008

2. Hahahaha.

#22     Mar 14, 2008
  3. newbunch

newbunch

Joe Lewis "isn't bothered by the falling share price." I wish I could lose $800 million and not be bother by it.

#23     Mar 14, 2008
  4. Pabst, a buddy of mine was a high level trader at the Quantum Fund for a number of years. He said that no one could every figure out if Rogers actually traded because no one knew where he cleared out of. Suffice to say, they all thought that he simply took his partnership "split" from Soros in 1980 and put it into muni's.

He's great at marketing himself.
    The book, the trips around the world, the motorcycle rides, the appearances on CNBC, putting his name on a commodity pool fund ( Beeland ) and creating some commodity indexes.

He's a great marketer.
    I do give him that.

But trading?
    I have my doubts.

#24     Mar 14, 2008

5. I'd rekon that "marketing" was his true (and only) contribution to Quantum.

#25     Mar 14, 2008
  6. zdreg

zdreg

that is a silly remark.

#26     Mar 14, 2008
  7. me2

me2

u rekon wrong.

rogers was the macro idea generator and soros just had balls of steel(since they won) vs. rogue hedge fund(if they blew out)

#27     Mar 14, 2008
  8. Cutten

Cutten

Since Soros is on the record saying otherwise, what makes you say that?

#28     Mar 14, 2008
  9. zdreg

zdreg

i think that being a billionaire means you have deep pockets.
    he has an estimated net worth of 1.6 b
    if you take away his loss on bear stearns
    stock he is still dancing around 1b. if he has puts his loss might be alot less.

#29     Mar 14, 2008
  10. Cutten

Cutten

100% long bonds in 1980-81? Wow, what an atrocious call that would have been!

Is your post actually substantiated with any facts, or just trading floor chat? If he is just a marketer, what was he marketing exactly in the 80s and 90s? Why would someone with no fund, no newsletter, no investment business, want to go heavy on marketing?

Let me guess - he wanted to get rich off his book sales lol.

#30     Mar 14, 2008