Bill Still: Why do we call it Good Friday?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Good1, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Good1

Good1

As a Christian, Bill Still might feel obligated to devote a whole video to this theme, on this day, instead of the usual political or financial fare.

The idea is generally that a Christian should not hide one's faith, and/or he really believes the information would be helpful.

So this is a chance for Bill to use his pulpit to communicate with the unchurched, although there's good reason to believe his audience is in the choir.

Although I might agree on the historicity of a teacher "Jesus" and that he allowed himself to be crucified, I strongly object to the Judeo-Christian explanations of the reasons...which are based in Jewish priestcraft.

I don't see it as a sacrifice for sins. It might be possible to see "sacrifice for sins" as a poetic parable open for interpretation, but as an actual fact, no.

Also, note well, none of the scriptures dare to speculate on how much pain - or none at all - that Jesus may have experienced. All it says is he refused any pain killers. From that point onward, all pain is assumed.

However, I have reason to believe he did it in large part to demonstrate an ability to feel no pain, and so, to feel no fear...to demonstrate fearlessness based on the confidence that his knowledge of "Christ" (reality, self, god, good, father, kingdom) keeps him not only safe from harm, but also safe from pain.

This observation can change the whole meaning of the event to one that is not useful to Jewish rooted priestcraft.

The demonstration could also mean: if I can forgive this outrage, you can forgive much less.

It could also be a poetic prelude to a deeper meaning, such as: before you can rise as Christ-self, you must die to your [human] self. This corresponds with the saying: "He who lays down his life for Christ''s sake shall take it up again, but he who holds onto his life will lose it".

Note well in the above phrase, he says people should give up their lives for Christ. Christians literally have it backwards when they insist that Christ give up Christ's life for people.

2. As far as I'm concerned,
    All religions and Holidays and traditions and etc misc are just the same as Santa Claus and the Superbowl and Black Friday and just another day at school or work and Chuck E Cheese.

Everything is just in your mind. and created by man o_O, :confused:
    Yet we all magically, supernaturally, divinely embrace them and act like Yahooligans around those days and things and events.

If you're able to truly desensitize yourself from man and the world...you will then become an ET, extraterrestrial trader, in 2018.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  3. Good1

Good1

What is "mind", exactly?

How big is it?

How much influence does it have?

How much actual creative power does it have?

What if man, himself is in a "mind"?

Whose mind?

What if man's mind doesn't really create anything?

What if some other mind thinks through man's mind?

Is man in a mind as a reality or as a fantasy?

4. Yep, today is also the start of Jewish Passover this year, it was an Israeli who told me as a kid that it was all a lie, he was an archeologist visiting a family friend.

A motley collection of various tribal traditions, certainly many failing to agree with each other, I believe around the time of "the 2nd temple" if I recall. Something to do with a strong king at the time. I'd have to double check.

In short like the Mormons and the Scientologists we know today, they agreed on a whopping, titanic lie, utter horseshit and they knew it. This to be passed from then on giving the illusion of a great and unified glorious past for political unification/strength. The dead sea scrolls are a remnant of one of the alternative traditions, nearly all else presumably destroyed as apocryphal.

Like Trump with his modern Norman Vincent Peale positive thinking, the idea is if enough people believe the lie, it will become reality for men. It has for the Mormons, so it seems the societal delusion trick works.

Probably had been done before in the tens of thousands of years of civilization before then, ice age wiping much away..

Frederick Foresight likes this.
  5. Good1

Good1

Yah, it's the Jewish passover tradition, except instead of a lamb it's God, the Son of God.

Judeo-Christianity is all about interpreting the sayings and actions of the teacher Jesus from within Jewish traditions, even if it means forcing a round peg into a square hole. The official term is "Judaize" and/or "Judaizer", which was actually a pejorative term used by the "apostle" Paul, who was, based on the writings attributed to him, a Judaizer, himself a rogue Pharisee.

I think there's ample evidence in the texts that Jesus wanted nothing to do with Jewish traditions. His biggest rows were with those who knew Judaism the best.

I should add, Bill Still is a Judeo-Christian.

6. He did have some anxiety about risking being nailed to a tree I recall. I would tend to believe that Jesus the man existed, nearly sure of that and his message went through the same editing committee fate the Torah did.

However it would seem the alleged missing years were spent in the East, I studied eastern religions a bit when I lived in Asia, I see parallels many have noted. There are elements of Buddhism with a release from re-incarnation twist. The kabbalah on some levels seems relatively recent made up nonsense but it has old threads in it, reincarnation being one of them. Was Jesus offering a release from nothingness or the cycle of reincarnation in the minds of contemporaneous Jews? I'm not entirely sure. The Kabbalah teaching rabbi I know insists it goes back millennia ("the word itself"), but he would believe that even if only centuries old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabbalah#Jewish_and_non-Jewish_Kabbalah

7. Handle123

Handle123

I grew up in Catholic religion, one of the biggest businesses of last 2000 years or so, they have one product to sell which is Jesus Christ and him being the son of God.

I find it amusing that world of Christians worshipping a Jewish man, who I believe never wanted to be worshipped.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

Christians say he is the son of God, God says we are all of His children, so we are all sons and daughters of God. Christians don't believe Christ was married and yet I never understood why Mary Magdalene followed him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_of_Christ

I believe their is one God and 10,000 ways to worship same God.

I believe man made religions to control people just like governments were formed to control people.

Often wonder all those who say they never believed, last 5 seconds of their life start praying or not?

beginner66 likes this.
  8. Good1

Good1

Different sects of Jews had differing opinions about an afterlife. The Judeo-Christian view most resembles that of the Pharisee sect. Not surprising as Paul, the main influence in back of Judeo-Christianity, was a dyed-in-the-wool Pharisee who took teachings of "The Way", and wove them into his own established views, essentially establishing a brand new sect that was not wholly compatible with James' own brand of Judeo-Christianity, hence the spat between those two.

Reincarnation was included in Origen''s theology, whose philosophy was once considered mainstream Christianity. Reincarnation was considered a necessary phenomenon to arrive at Origen''s idea of Universal Salvation, itself a mainstream doctrine for a few decades or a century or two. That was all changed when the concept of a future hell (and one chance to be a good citizen), other than the status quo, was considered best for controlling the greatest amount of people with the smallest police force (priestcraft).

For sure, reincarnation is more of an eastern sourced doctrine, and I do agree Jesus' doctrine was heavily eastern sourced, tailored for the Jews, perhaps the darkest theological spot on earth at the time. If I were to name a specific eastern source, I would say it most aligned with Advaita Vedanta, as most notably espoused by Adi Shankara.

Slartibartfast likes this.
  9. Indeed, I was going to mention that Buddhism is based on various older traditions, some with references to probable end of the ice age events from 9k years back.

I had a rather liberated Zoroastrian girlfriend for a little while, she knew a lot about pre-historic Indian-Iranian region beliefs. We are planning to take a trip to a lesser known 'eternal' petroleum flames she figures started the whole ball rolling. A pity she had to go to France for a new job and we split.

10. Good1

Good1

I grew up with Catholic parents who were as good of people as you would find generally, who paid for my Catholic schooling along with 5 siblings. The schooling went through 8th grade, if I recall, but I made enough fuss to get myself transfered out in middle of 5th to public school.

I criticize the religion as carefully as possible having chosen to be a member as an adult for several years. I citicize every other version of Christianity carefully as well, having chosen to associate with a more bible oriented version for a couple years, and still having family associated with them, everyone having left Catholicism at some point.

It's not my goal to exchange dumb for dumber, so I am not quick to get on every/any critical bandwagon. To really help people, to help family, you really
    to become a sharp philosopher, or what I might call an honest detective in the hunt to find out who murdered the truth, and why.

For example, the criticism regarding marriage and/or Mary Magdalen is a non-sequitor.

Otherwise, you made a couple good points.

Mainly, if you look closely, there was too much cognitive dissonance in Christianity to capture my attention for a whole lifetime. I have mainly sought consistency of theory.

#10     Mar 30, 2018