Bill Maher - funny stuff

Discussion in 'Politics' started by newtoet, Nov 9, 2008.

1. You are retarded. Maher is as far from libertarian as Lenin.

#21     Nov 12, 2008
  2. Anyone signing a Kyoto type treaty is an idiot and I don't think Obama falls into that category. That dumb ass treaty gave a free pass to the biggest emitter of all, China.

I think the O-man already is on the record saying that he would go into Pakistan to get Usama if the Paki's were not willing. That's a bigger portal to war, IMO, than Tonkin Gulf.

I disagree, Maher is in love with the O-man and will glorify anything he does.

Seneca

#22     Nov 12, 2008
  3. Cutten

Cutten

He's not a full libertarian, hence why I said "kind of". However, he holds lots of classically libertarian views e.g.

"Maher favors a partial privatization of social security, ending corporate welfare, and legalization of gambling, prostitution, and cannabis. Maher is a member of NORML's Advisory Board, an organization which supports the decriminalization of marijuana, and is an open cannabis user." - Wikipedia

He supports the legality of abortion and euthanasia, equal rights for minorities etc, he thinks religion should be kept out of government. He was against the Iraq war, and supports Israel. All classic libertarian positions.

I notice you didn't dispute that he is smart, funny, rich, and bones hot women half his age. Envious? ;) I'll give you one shot to redeem yourself - if you can give some examples of Lenin's libertarian political beliefs. Good luck with that one :)

#23     Nov 12, 2008
  4. So because Maher smokes pot, hates business, and supports killing fetuses but not enemy soldiers- that makes him a libertarian?

Cutten, you of course know that libertarianism is not defined so narrowly. It is a movement that seeks to elevate the individual above the state- to limit the state's power to interfere in an individual's affairs.

Maher is a typical liberal, not libertarian. He supports freedom in a few populist issues, but in realty supports a larger and larger government quietly making slaves of the populace.

#24     Nov 12, 2008
  5. Cutten

Cutten

Can you back up that claim? Maher himself has said he favours a smaller government and thinks the government should only be involved in those areas that absolutely can't be done by individuals.

I note that you still pretend I said libertarian, rather than "kind of" libertarian. Dishonest politician-style debating tactics there. Given that there are left-wing "libertarians", even if you are correct that Maher has some left-wing views, that doesn't contradict my claim that he is kind of libertarian. And yes, the freedom to take drugs or to destroy cells in your body are classic libertarian positions, as is opposition to wars except in self-defence.

Oh, and don't forget you accused me of being a retard, then in the very next sentence said that Maher was as far from libertarian as Lenin. So if you want to split hairs, you might want to start with that little howler first.

#25     Nov 12, 2008
  6. Favoring government mandates on private energy usage via ones slavish acceptance of man caused climate-change is about as anti-liberty as one can get.

Notice now that since the world has been re-heating for several years the slogan has been euphemistically renamed from global warming.....

#26     Nov 12, 2008
  7. I dunno what's sicker Obama's new puppy or Bill Mar

#27     Nov 12, 2008
  8. Ok Cutten, he is a "kind of" libertarian (whatever that means) who supports the most left wing, statist, anti-Constitution, class warfare, soak the rich, populist candidates he can find. Kind of like you.

BTW the right to abortion is by no mean a "classic" libertarian position. Libertarians are generally mixed on the issue.

http://www.l4l.org/library/abor-rts.html

#28     Nov 13, 2008
  9. Apologies, meant to say your post was retarded. I just think that you are a little confused about who are the true friends of personal and economic freedom, and who are friends only to the extent that it fits their personal ideologies.

Having the freedom to do coke off a prostitutes stomach while getting fellated by a gay midget is little consolation if you lack the freedom to keep the product of your day's labor. I don't know where Maher stands on progressive taxation, healthcare, or social welfare; I only know he supports the big government, class warfare candidate. I only compared him to Lenin to metaphorically say he is very far from a true libertarian. Perhaps hyperbole, but he is no Ron Paul supporter.

#29     Nov 13, 2008