Bill Maher clip, enjoy.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bigarrow, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Ricter

Ricter

One thing about the faith behind not believing in god, it's at least supported by the lack of evidence of a god. That lack of evidence means the faith behind believing in god is far greater.

#11     Aug 7, 2013
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

You've been watching the documentary "religious" one too many times. You just need to watch it once dude. No, here is where you are wrong. The belief that bigfoot does not exist is not a system of beliefs. It's bifurcated from all other values and morals you have as a person. Religion and atheism are not. They both are systems of beliefs because they govern how you live your life. What you value and don't value. Saying I don't believe in UFO's is also not the same thing as atheism because one does not live their lives around the core idea that UFO's don't exist. Atheism is most certainly a religion and atheists are quite evangelical. The two people I would not want to sit next to on a plane. A devout atheist and a southern baptist preacher.

#12     Aug 7, 2013
  3. achilles28

achilles28

That's a nice rebuttal. Well said.

#13     Aug 7, 2013
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

If any of you guys want to watch an interesting discussion on religion, I think you will find more value here then in "religious". And before you get upset that it's Glenn Beck, Penn Jillette does an outstanding job articulating his atheist beliefs. The back and forth is very insightful and I encourage you guys to watch the whole video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i3LnVa7zXgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#14     Aug 7, 2013
  5. Ricter

Ricter

"Saying I don't believe in UFO's is also not the same thing as atheism because one does not live their lives around the core idea that UFO's don't exist."

I think the vast majority of atheists, and probably most of the so-called believers who nevertheless live as if there is no god (or at least as if He doesn't do shit about anything), who are therefore in a practical sense atheists, are pretty quiet about it most of the time. But you're right, there are some who are evangelical.

Add devout libertarian to your list of dreaded cabin neighbors. : )

#15     Aug 7, 2013
    #16     Aug 7, 2013
  7. You're making a faux intellectual argument Mav. This atheist doesn't talk about not believing in Alla or Buddha or The sun god to strangers on a plane or anyone anywhere except on an anonymous board, where it's the purpose of the forum. I was responding to the guy's absurd assertion that not believing in Jesus is a religion. Not believing is the exact opposite of being a religion. And it has nothing to do with how I live my life. You don't know what you're talking about. As you seem to do a lot here lately you're over estimating your knowledge of a subject.

#17     Aug 8, 2013
  8. achilles28

achilles28

Atheists don't believe in God as a matter of *faith*. Not evidence.

You don't know for a fact God exists, or not. You just believe He doesn't.

That belief, in the absence of conclusive evidence one way or the other, defines your faith in atheism. Faith being the main constituent of religion.

Atheists recoil at the thought they too are religious. They despise faith in others as a logical fallacy and a crutch for the weak-minded. Except they're engaged in the same mental exercise, except at the other end.

The best a person can hope to be is agnostic. Not atheist. Atheists have no clue what lies outside of their own awareness, no more an infant does about the world. But the atheist presumes they know it all....out of faith. Ironic, eh

#18     Aug 8, 2013
  9. achilles28

achilles28

Yes, I am bad.

#19     Aug 8, 2013
  10. I don't recoil at being called religious, it just makes me think your logical abilities are flawed on this subject. The astounding lack of evidence of a god makes it impossible to think logically and believe at the same time. Now go back to your silly bible reading. Of you want to carry on this nonsense go to one of Stu' and Jem's threads. Because I'm bored with all this Jesus talk.

#20     Aug 8, 2013