Bill Cosby's speech

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, May 21, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

I guess if any white person made these remarks, they would be branded a racist.

As Cos tells it, we ain't learnt nothin' yet

The Washington Post

May 21, 2004

Bill Cosby was anything but politically correct in his remarks at a Constitution Hall bash in Washington commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Brown vs. Board of Education decision. To everyone's astonishment, laughter and applause, Cosby mocked everything from urban fashion to black spending and speaking habits.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal," he said Monday night. "These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids - $500 sneakers for what?

"And they won't spend $200 for 'Hooked on Phonics.' ...

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English," he said. "I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't.' 'Where you is.' ... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. ... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

When Cosby finally concluded, Howard University President H. Patrick Swygert, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume and NAACP legal defense fund head Theodore Shaw came to the podium looking stone-faced. Shaw told the crowd that most people on welfare are not African-American, and many of the problems his organization has addressed in the black community were not self-inflicted.

2. GOOD! I'm sick of people being pacifist to appease the growing trend of political correctness among many in America. Say what is on your mind and don't beat around the bush.

Bill Cosby is absolutely correct. Has anyone been out to a street corner in urban America lately? It isn't just blacks, but whites, hispanics and many other nationalities. There is proper grammar and then there is ebonics. The problem is, if one speaks ebonics for too long, when you go to a job interview and "Where you is be located," slips out of your mouth, don't be shocked if they don't call you back.

Ps: This is a true story. NAACP President Kweisi Mfume lives near my parents, and one time I was at a movie theatre with my best friend Aaron. We were discussing the NAACP and I said, "Imagine if there was a WAACP or a white history month -- wouldn't there be an outrage to that! I wonder what would happen if a white person were to try to apply for a position at the NAACP. Do they follow affirmative action as well?" This was at Hyott's theatre on West Nursery Road near Linthicum. Guess who was standing right in front of me in the popcorn line and turned around. None other than Mr. Mfume himself.

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'll guess I'll never understand what is so "politically incorrect" about the GD truth.

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Great post Aphie! Although you better be careful around the liberals at Starbucks talking like that. LOL.

5. So did he have anything to say?

6. Punchline?

7. No. In fact, when he turned around, I at first didn't recognize him. My friend Aaron pulled me away and said, "Do you know who that is?" ... When I looked back over, I said, "I've seen him on TV ... I can't think what movie he was in."

He just gave us that look like, "Yeah, nice one."

It is all funny to me -- I can't live my life on edge all the time and worry if I'll offend someone. I'm not perfect and I have views that other people might not like. Oh well, that's life.

8. I'm guessing that you haven't worked in an american corporate or professional organization, right? making that statement in such an environment, in and of itself, would be enough to get you fired.

9. good on Cosby. refreshing to see a black man stand up and tell his brothers and sisters how it is. Very refreshing.

#10     May 21, 2004