Bill Ackman Has Outgrown His Hero(Deal Breaker)

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, May 29, 2020.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Bill Ackman Has Outgrown His Hero(Deal Breaker)
    The Ackmanaissance, that remarkable and improbable turnaround in Pershing Square Capital Management founder Bill Ackman’s fortunes from the depths of humiliation and failure to the heights of the hedge fund world, did not begin, as is commonly believed by romantics, when he even more improbably wrested the affections of a brilliant and beautiful woman from the arms of Brad Pitt. Instead, the spark was a 50-year-old letter written by Warren Buffett. This will not surprise the more seasoned Ackmanologists, who know well of his debt to and aspirations to become a successor to the Oracle of Omaha. The relationship has had its ups and downs (and then some more downs, and some more after that), but Ackman remains, at heart, a man of the Berkshirean persuasion.

Nobert likes this.
  2. dealmaker

dealmaker

Warren Buffett Loses a Star Hedge Fund Billionaire as a Berkshire Investor(Observer.com)
    Billionaire hedge funder Bill Ackman, who enjoys the reputation as the “baby Warren Buffett” on Wall Street and is a longtime investor in Buffett’s investment conglomerate,Berkshire Hathaway, has decided to part ways with his idol. On Wednesday, Ackman revealed in a conference call that his investment firm, Pershing Square, had dumped its entire $1 billion stake in Berkshire Hathaway, along with smaller positions in other companies, including Blackstone and Park Hotels & Resorts. The transactions were first reported by Bloomberg.

3. BRK.B has been just an "S&P performer" for the last 10 years or so. Nothing magical about it. No great reason to dump it, but no great reason to hold it either. SPY and about 100 other funds have about the same.

4. Atikon

Atikon

this is ridiculous, are you writing fake news comments on youtube?

never2old likes this.
  5. Perhaps you should know what you're talking about before flapping your gums and calling out the big dog.... (same goes for you, "never2old")

BRK_SP.PNG

6. Nighthawk

Nighthawk

So Warren B and Charlie M are sitting on over $100 billion cash pile and they don´t have an idea where to invest the monies - because everything is so "expensive"!

Truth is: there is a lot of money out there competing for the same assets, goldie boyz! And you both are not able to catch anymore the speed of Mr Market in front of you!

Pay back the monies to the investors or start a gigantic buyback program!

And if you don´t, then don´t be surprised if Bill is pulling his $.

7. traider

traider

His selling caused BRK B to drop to 170+. Its now back at 185. Somebody else was buying everything he was dumping

8. Atikon

Atikon

Buffet consistently outperformed the S&P in the past 10 years. You picked nice years for comparison there with 2008 and 2020 but despite the fact, he gave back all of his outperformance from the last couple of years back due to the fact that he didn't anticipate the FED stepping in/he were too greedy for once. In any case, I wouldn't calssify him as an S&P Performer just because he didn't anticipate a historic FED Decision. Also I'd like to know where you got that chart from "BigDog"? Are you showing a Risk Adjusted camparison? Because it sure doesn't look like that when I do the same comparison in tradingview just by % Increase since 2008:

9. The chart is from stock charts.com. There for anyone who wants to look.

You can make any excuse you want, but the truth is that over the last 10+ years, Buffett has not outperformed the S&P. The facts man, just the facts. Ackman has dumped Birkshire... probably because he feels he can do better.

As for The Big Dog... I'm the Big Dog (one of them). I don't post fake news. I have no agenda.

ironchef likes this.
  10. ironchef

ironchef

What makes you think they are not doing that?

#10     May 31, 2020