Biggest short squeezes since 1990

Discussion in 'Trading' started by formal gold, Sep 19, 2012.

1. zdreg

zdreg

resorts int'l

#11     Sep 20, 2012
  2. gaj

gaj

oh ktel was awesome to watch. so sick.

#12     Sep 20, 2012

3. AMZN and EBAY when they IPOed.

These stocks were up like $100 a day for a few days.

No joke.

These days, if a stock moves $5, I have an orgasm.

But, I think the mother of all is MOBL.

It went from .001 to like 8.5 in six months. Daily volume was 1 million+.

I don't think it exists now.

#13     Sep 20, 2012
  4. jem

jem

killed that one day. I just dipped my toe in and made a couple grand in a few seconds.

#14     Sep 20, 2012
  5. jem

jem

I was really good at trading the tech stocks in play when they were on the nyse.. they were sort of squeezing.

corning
    lucent... ( I traded over one percent of its volume 1 day)
    compaq.

I made a living off of emc, lucent, and diamond offshore.
    I also had a drug stock or two when the others were not in play.

DO really was in a short squeeze for a long time...
    It was really thin with wide spreads... maybe 25 cents or more.
    Then after it topped all of a sudden it got thick.

Also when the qqqs first came out our office killed them for hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think the nas 100 was in sort of short squeeze.

#15     Sep 20, 2012
  6. this should be a fall out of the sky watch thread... i'd love that... when priceline blows up like green mountain or all the other tumblers..

#16     Sep 20, 2012
  7. Thank you to all who have contributed! It's nice to see many of the responses are from 10+ year ET members.

With all this knowledge about past short squeezes, there is still one that hasn't been identified. This is what I remember:

an internet "company" around 2001 that had a static web page that did not move or take you to any other web pages. It simply pledged to match buyers and sellers and said "coming soon". The stock had a $500M valuation at one point before crashing. The owners had a shady reputation and did not live in the US.

Whomever can remember this stock and its ticker symbol wins the prize of "best memory of short squeezes" and my gratitude.
    Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

#17     Sep 21, 2012
  8. From this year: Broadvision BVSN

#18     Sep 21, 2012
  9. zdreg

zdreg

10. gaj

gaj

formal gold - is that the stock which fell from $25?, was based in california, and had backers with ties to al qaeda and was a complete scam?

i almost never remember stocks with lots of precision after, but that one sticks in my mind. begins with a G, was a nasdaq stock?

#20     Sep 21, 2012