Biggest S&P or Dow % gains of all time

Discussion in 'Trading' started by drukes1234, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Does anyone know the top let's say 50 biggest Dow Jones or S&P % daily gains since let's say 1900?

Thanks

2. yonisin

yonisin

Don't know but I pulled the S&P 500 date for the low point (intraday) in October 2002. It was up 30% one year from then. But it took five years to make a new high. It seems that we're searching for the bottom, and the decline is greater and faster. I still think the tech/telecom bubble of 2000 to 2002 would have been less severe without the terror attacks of 9/11/2001. That basically meant we need another year of down turn.

3. Sorry but what in the hell does this have to do with anything? Just looking for a list of highest % gains in stock market history.

4. Lime, thanks so much, great stuff

5. Arjun1

Arjun1

[​IMG]

Thanks limesinferior, I had always assumed that the the biggest down days were much larger in % terms than the biggest up days.
    It turns out the that it was the up days that posted the bigger % moves.

6. yonisin

yonisin

Looking for stock market history is looking for answers that are not there. You can manipulate the statistics pulling what you want out of them. Recent history is more of a guide, but it's certainly not very accurate. But then you are an a_, so what do I care what you think.

7. yonisin

yonisin

No, simple questions are not negatively framed.