biggest prop/con job in market history

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rlchitrdr7, Apr 16, 2008.

1. I don’t believe these days are all that extraordinary. Extraordinary days would be accompanied by VIX levels 75 to 100% higher then the current ones in my book. Then again I don’t subscribe to the manipulation theories which are all over ET. Pure free markets, aka pure capitalism does not exist on the macro scale. The government is charged with doing their best via, fiscal and monetary policy to keep the capital markets liquid and orderly. Ibanks, hedge funds and the likes have a fiduciary responsibility to their equity holders to make as much money as possible. If they believe that buying the dips achieves that goal, so what? If you truly believe that the Ibanks, hedge funds et al, act in concert with each other for the sole objective of screwing people then the whole conversation here is moot. If that’s the case then I suggest what known at the “mattress fund,” place all your funds under the mattress. I am not trying to be mean or criticize but if the globe really felt the markets were rigged they would not play.

As far as ET goes, I find this thread to be just another in an endless list of threads where people imply the markets are manipulated on a grand scale, people casually drop that they make or have not lost money and where people offer their opinions as fact, then get upset when either questioned or chided.

Those are my opinions

#31     Apr 17, 2008
  2. I understand, I have no problem with questioning opinion.

I think that 1998 would be most comparable in terms of action taken by the gov't and wall street but we had a growing economy that didn't require a rigging of the system. The 1929 unfolded the way they did because the public exited enmasse once the party was over, they had to margin calls forced much of the price action.

1987, same thing the public exited enmasse once it was realize that the market was over-extended on the upside. Bad decisions made near the top were what lead to much of the selling. Gov't in both situations didnot come to the rescue until after the fall and allowed free markets to trade freely.

But because of 1987 we now have the Plunge Protection situation and due to 1929 we now must have gov't and wall street come to the rescue and do whatever to keep the public from knowing the reality and from exit.

It is obvious to me that the gov't and wall street know that we could not be able to handle a real estate collapse, tighten credit situation, high inflation and falling stock prices all at once. So I was only pointing out that I view the current prop job in the stock market to be a con when reality is, that all of these things are the real truth and do not bode well for our economic future here in the states.

I can be entirely wrong and will willing admit it, if indeed our future is bright and now is the time to buy assets across the board and the markets goes onto another leg up.

#32     Apr 17, 2008
  3. I am not so much a conspiracy theorist, I don't believe that gov't or wall street is all that intelligent to collude on things like this to screw the public. But when the Fed reflates banks and Ibanks, they know what they will do with that money. Yes, trading desks look at the situation and say the pessimism is over done, let's buy these things on the cheap. Fair enough.

My only point in this situation is that extreme effort is being taken and everyone is told "don't panic and sell" because if this happen the gig would really be over. If you look at our current economic situation and the prospects of those improving any time in the near future it would be hard to argue buying equities on a long-term basis will turn out to be a prudent decision at this juncture.

I don't mind being ribbed, but you didn't say anthing about what I had said other than to suggest that I was another ET "trader" who doesn't have losses and plays loosely with the facts. That's what I took offense to.

#33     Apr 17, 2008
  4. Who is saying the near term future is bright? Why are the gov’t actions a con job? They are using the tools available to smooth the peaks and valley’s of the economic cycle. This economy is not and has never been a pure capitalistic economy. The gov’t has its hand in the economy all the time, that’s the nature of the quasi capitalistic markets we have.

#34     Apr 17, 2008
  5. Why assume I was posting directly about you and not posting about ET'ers in general?

#35     Apr 17, 2008
  6. Fair enough. I am not here to convince anyone of anything. You have your opinion of the situation. I respect that. I have mine. That's what makes markets.

I think we can now agree to disagree. I'm fine with that.

#36     Apr 17, 2008
  7. Only because it was directly stated to something I said regarding myself.

#37     Apr 17, 2008
  8. I am not even disagreeing with you. I thinkn the near term future is fairly nasty. I would not be putting long term capital into the US equity markets at this level.

Just my opinion but you're making a lot of asumptions about me that are off the market. In all honesty it sounds like we agree on a lot more then you think.

I just choose not to use the phrase "con job" because i dont believe anyone is being conned.

If people want to sell then they will no matter what the gov't says, and the gov't has not often issued mandates to the general public on what to do in the stock market.

#38     Apr 17, 2008
  9. Sorry the "no one has any losses comment" was a general statement. I always wonder why people preface thier posts here with stuff about their own accounts or wealth.

In reality I was just saying there is no need to post about your profits or losses since none of us can open our perosnal books here to show net assets or their changes.

#39     Apr 17, 2008
  10. No problem, I am not offended. I see your points and they are valid aswell. I appreciate frank discussion of things. Were cool.

#40     Apr 17, 2008