biggest critics of federal spending — Republican base voters — are some of the bigges

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Feb 28, 2012.

1. biggest critics of federal spending — Republican base voters — are some of the biggest beneficiaries of the social safety net.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...ed-staters-use-the-safety-net-too.php?ref=fpb

Just over a week ago, the New York Times ran an eye-opening story about a key paradox in U.S. politics: It turns out the biggest critics of federal spending — Republican base voters — are some of the biggest beneficiaries of the social safety net.

Expand on that irony, and you’ll find that some of the most conservative states in the country are the greatest beneficiaries of transfer payments — where residents pay on average less in taxes than they receive in federal benefits. Not all “taker” states are red, and not all “giver” states are blue.

But the color spread on the map below suggests that many Republican base voters either choose to vote against their economic self-interest, or would be stunned if the members of Congress who represent them ever got their way.

2. Crispy

Crispy

Its not the right vs the left, its the state vs you.

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

EXACTLY, a point completely lost on the dim witted pro big government liberals.

4. Do you honestly think the R's and/or conservatives are really against big government? Just talking points if you follow the voting records of both sides.

You know I'm social left, and yet I would love to see a smaller government, but who decides what we cut back on? Get gov't out of the bedrooms and off our phones, and out of other countries where we don't belong. That's a good start. But, who decides all this? That's the problem it seems.

c

5. rew

rew

Ron Paul, Republican, is really against big government. A fact if you look at his voting record.

Now the other guys, yeah, they're phonies. That's why the liberal media pumps up guys like Romney, Santorum, and Gingrich -- they don't want smaller government. (They don't like Santorum or Gingrich, but know that Obama's victory is ensured if one of them is nominated.)

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

I voted early today as I'll be out of town on super Tuesday.

I voted for Ron Paul. I think he's a bit too old and I don't agree with all of his agenda. But I'm convinced he is serious about smaller government.
    Something I don't just talk about, I actually want it.