Big LCD Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by downrivertrader, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Hope everyone is doning well in 2006!!

I was hoping to get a little advice on some equipment. I am going to be building a new house in the next several months and am planning on a new trading room.

I have been thinking about 2 or 3 real big wall mounted LCD's. Does anyone have this kind of set up? I like big stuff that I can see easily but I am not sure if bigger is clearer that my 21" desktop LCD's.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. big lcd's dont mean better quality..

sony and samsung are my favorite, but if you want a good quality monitor, look for one with the smallest dot pitch, however, you'll pay more for them.

dot pitch defined:

The size in millimetres of the smallest dot that can be displayed on a computer monitor. The smaller the dot pitch, the finer and clearer the detail on the screen. ( www.techwriter.co.nz/nerd-ad.html )

this one HP f2105 , goes for about 650-750 +

3. A problem I see with a wall setup is that it is too stationary and probably flat. Imagine having 4 LCD's on a wall that are perfectly flat. It tends to cause eyestrain for me because I'm not looking at the monitors while they are pointed to me. I prefer a good stand where the monitors are pointing up and toward me in the bottom and down and toward me on the top. I have placed 4 monitors on a stand in a completely flat configuration and it was really bothersome for me. I think 21" LCD's are perfect and very affordable now. Go for a good stand and make the environment natural for you to look at. Also, with a stand, you can reconfigure, add, remove, etc without any big hassles or damage to your structure.

I would spend the money on better services, more isolation of my office from my home, better chair, better desk, etc.

Some points to consider. Good luck.

4. Good Points. Thanks. I have been thinking about a cigar smoke remover and nice leather chairs. :)

5. I just ordered 2- 24" monitors. ( I will add more later) The reviews show the people that use them love them. It's the Dell Ultra Sharp 2405 FPW. The big draw for me was the 1920 x 1200 resolution. If I'm going to look at these things all day I want big clear charts. By comparison a Gateway 21" monitor has --
    Pixel Resolution 1680 x 1050 (native) (75Hz)

One other big consideration...make sure your video card/computer will handle the higher resolution screens.

The link below will take you to a ZDNET review....they gave it 8 of 10 stars but the people that own these monitors (85 posted reviews) give it a 9.2 out of 10. There is a company that you can call to order one for about 890$ (forget the exact amount) but it's impossible to find them on the web-they are a distribution company. You can also check out digital tigers website if you feel more comfortable with a company with more of a "presence".

hope this helps!
    Jeff

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Dell_UltraSharp_2405FPW/4505-3174_16-31335738.html?tag=pop

phone number to order from a posted review:
    Full user opinion
    Bigger is WAY better! I used a 19" flat screen CRT for years and just didn't know what I was missing. You can basically view two 8.5X11" images at the same time sid by side with this widescreen! I got it for $780 + sh direct from distributor (Neilson; 800-526-1744). They pixel-test your monitor for extra $25.00. Pixel test is worth it though for a $900+ monitor! Wife is happy that I shopped around!!!

6. Joe

Joe

7. Thanks Jeff. I actually use this same monitor, but I have two other smaller LCD,s . Couldn't remember the size at the time of the big one.

I really like it. I see they have a bigger one now. Think it is 30".

8. Joe

Joe

You can use the apple display on both the PC and Mac,

PC
    - Windows PC and graphics card that supports DVI ports with dual-link digital bandwidth and VESA DDC standard for plug-and-play setup

Mac
    - Power Mac G5 (PCI-X) with ATI Radeon 9650 or better or NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL or better with Mac OS X v10.3.9 or Mac OS X v10.4.2 or later
    - Power Mac G5 (PCI Express), all graphics options
    - PowerBook G4 with dual-link DVI support and Mac OS X v.10.3.9 or Mac OS X v10.4.2 or later

Here is some more of the tech specs
    http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html