big interest is the trouble in trading FX

Discussion in 'Forex' started by mikeenday, Dec 9, 2011.

1. mikeenday

mikeenday Guest

lots of interest accrued everyday,

seems like not suitbale for long term trading.

what's your average holding time?

2. overall, all traders combined, big banks and small speculators, average length of trade is 8 days.

3. zhaoyun

zhaoyun

I think it is possible to hold trades for a longer time especially if you are a trend follower, just need to do you analysis at a higher timeframe while fine tuning in a lower timeframe.

4. The problem is in retail accounts where the spread on the carry is way too wide. Most of the time that you should get positive carry it is either negative or null. Only exception is AUD and NZD right now.
    If you where trading a "real account" or where a bank it would not be a problem as much.
    So holding time on positive can be months but for highly negative carry pairs it is days.

5. Haley12

Haley12

My average holding time is one week.

6. ......................................................................

carry is not an issue......
    you just roll em over daily and stick with your long range plan.

takes 2 minutes

but when they puke em out, you better be short.

cheers.

s

7. it's a problem, and a problem I don't fully understand. I hold a long time, over night, over weekends, and am practically never flat. It just keeps accrueing. If I'm ever flat one currency I close it out if it's over 25k. Not really sure what I'm doing, but I agree, if you are making money it's not anything to worry about.

8. Not really sure what I'm doing......

none of us are......:)

just keep the shiny side up.

s