BIG BANG Insurance

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vetten, Apr 7, 2007.

1. vetten

vetten

just found out on IB

DD big contract $25 say 12,500 is worth $ 312,500
    initial overnight margin $ 14,063

YM contract $5 say 12,500 is worth $ 62,500
    initial overnight margin $ 2,813

So if I place a stop sell order for1 biggie and 3 small the initial overnight margin would be $ 22,502

would that be the kind of money IB expects in my account before I even place those stop sell orders?

and when my stop sell orders get filled I have to have the overnight maintenance money in my account on that day as well?

thanks people:)

#11     Apr 9, 2007
  2. vet - each broker is different for what they will require, but the margins have their overnight which you've found. I would just email IB and ask.

When the order is placed you will need funds in your account to cover the trade, even if it's far from being filled. I've never heard of a futures firm allowing you to place a trade w/o any funds in the account to cover the position. So, you will more than likely need to have the funds in your account as soon as you want to place a trade.

#12     Apr 9, 2007
  3. vetten

vetten

thank you browny for your reply

I`m now going away from futures to protect my trading capital.

Easier would be to place a stop sell trade on with a CFD provider
    on the DOW index.
    They let you do a trade with a deposit of only 1%, so to cover
    $ 500,000 would require a deposit of $ 5,000.
    Man Financial will give me the official cash rate on this deposit, so the opportunity cost will be a lot lower.

Heck I could even put $ 50,000 on it, wait for the crash (patience, patience, patience) and come out a millionair. GUARANTEED

#13     Apr 9, 2007
  4. vet - I am not familiar with CFD's - can you provide a few links? Your thread got my interest, so I'd like to see what you've decided on.

#14     Apr 10, 2007