bidu puts

Discussion in 'Options' started by joeski, Dec 6, 2007.

1. joeski

joeski

I have some bidu dec 350 puts that I purchased on 12/03. In the interim, bidu ran up on the naz-100 inclusion news, but now the underlying is back down to exactly where I bought it. On today's down move, the calls near ATM have all lost $6-$7, but the puts have only gone up $1. Specifically, my 350's are only up .3, lagging break-even by $5, even though the underlying is now the same price as it was only 3 trading days ago.

My question is, why are the puts not moving with the calls? I am obviously missing something. Is the time value eroding faster than I expect, or is it simply a reflection of overall bullishness about bidu? I am new to puts, so I would like to learn from this mistake.

Thanks.

2. You should study Implied Volatility, which has gone down on BIDU and will collapse very fast as expiration gets closer. BIDU is a volatile stock so it options are expensive to make it worth the risk of selling options.

I would consider selling an equal amount of BIDU December 330 puts @ $2.80 to turn your position into a debt spread to cut any losses if BIDU doesn't close below $350.00. Maximum gain would still be very good, and since you have the 350 puts you don't need any extra margin in your account.

Study:
    • Implied Volatility
    • Credit Spreads
    • Debt Spreads
    • Strangles and Straddles

3. I had the same experience once, on a BIDU put as well. I am a rookie trader, but my guess is that its probably a little of both-time erosion and bullishness. I have seen some of those puts gain traction though, but only when BIDU gets a price adjustment., like when it would tank and lose 15-30 bucks on the stock price. I usually stay with the calls on BIDU myself. It feels good when the price of a call triples in 2 days!!!

4. joeski

joeski

Thanks for the replies.

The debt spread idea is a good one; I'll think about it. The problem is, I'm still have a lot of conviction that bidu cannot hold 390, so maybe I should let it ride. In retrospect, I should have straddled when I bought the puts. The one thing you can be sure about with bidu is that it won't stay still very long...

5. Your option price deteriorated mostly due to a crush in implied volatility. I believe the atm vols dropped around 12 pts. Skew also came off a decent amount. For bidu, if you believe the stock will move in the short term, try selling a calendar (front month vols are well below the mids). Long dec, short jan8 or more preferably mar8.

Bidu is a fun trade.