Biden rail system

Discussion in 'Economics' started by qlai, Apr 1, 2021.

1. qlai

qlai

if this happens, which “new city pairs” are most likely to be connected? Will we live to see it? Japan has a great rail system, would be nice to have similar.

“Invest in reliable passenger and freight rail service. The nation’s rail networks have the potential to offer safe, reliable, efficient, and climate-friendly alternatives for moving people and freight. However, unlike highways and transit, rail lacks a multi-year funding stream to address deferred maintenance, enhance existing corridors, and build new lines in high-potential locations. There are currently projects just waiting to be funded that will give millions more Americans reliable and fast inter-city train service. President Biden is calling on Congress to invest $80 billion to address Amtrak’s repair backlog; modernize the high traffic Northeast Corridor; improve existing corridors and connect new city pairs; and enhance grant and loan programs that support passenger and freight rail safety, efficiency, and electrification.”

2. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

Not gonna happen. But they may spend $80 billion running studies..climate impact surveys, etc. Only to ultimately cancel it.

3. qlai

qlai

Yeah, there are spotted owls everywhere. Speed train to Florida would be nice though (from NYC)

4. DevBru

DevBru

Although i am not from the US, we also have a decent network of high speed trains in Europe.

I do like the concept and have used them before, but if they really want to take business away from flying, the price will have to come down. Right now flying is much much cheaper compared to the high speed trains in Europe.

gkishot and qlai like this.
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

Although it is not High high-speed ("Average Speeds of 79-125 mph") Brightline here in Florida is roughly half completed Miami to Orlando.

Website shows it is not currently running and completion date of sometime next year, then a further extension to Tampa, but trains were running between the completed sections of Miami to Fort Lauderdale to West Palm Beach before Covid shut them down.

https://www.gobrightline.com/florida-expansion

qlai likes this.
  6. qlai

qlai

If you could choose where to live in Florida (no schools or luxuries needed), where would you live?

7. S2007S

S2007S

The costs alone would literally be in the trillions.
    Agree a million percent. Everything in politics is all talk and garbage . Will never happen is absolutely correct.
    When politics gets involved which it always does nothing ever happens.

8. noddyboy

noddyboy

If I don't see 2% inflation, I am in the camp that we should print $100 trillion or more. Why not? No downside to that. Explain to me how I am wrong.

9. S2007S

S2007S

It's absolutely amazing how no party is for the people..they are always fighting like little fucking fools. When is enough, enough. No party can ever agree to anything as a whole no matter what the agenda or situation.

McConnell says GOP won’t support Biden’s infrastructure plan, vows to fight Democratic agenda
    PUBLISHED THU, APR 1 20211:35 PM EDTUPDATED

10. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

That's because there is no incentive to compromise anymore. Consultants often say "there is good money in perpetuating the problems of others'...and no one hires more consultants than politicians. This is why we have gridlock

#10     Apr 1, 2021