Biden calls paying higher taxes a patriotic act Is this a joke?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by John_Wensink, Sep 18, 2008.

1. hughb

hughb

Obama only started claiming tax cuts a couple of weeks ago. I have not read exactly what he means, considering that up until then he was promising tax increases. But an editorial in the Wall Street Journal described them as tax credits, not cuts. Just FWIW, I'm not to familiar with it yet.

#11     Sep 18, 2008
  2. The problem with Biden's idiotic statement is that the government has a long track record of spending in excess of 100% of whatever tax revenues they get. Increasing the amount the government gets will only increase what they spend.

In any case, taxes should be designed to produce maximum revenues with minimal negative effects on the economy. As Reagan proved, lower taxes can produce a bigger economy that produces more tax revenues. The democrats like to call this trickle down economics. They seem to think sowing hatred against those who earn is the way to bring us together as a country.

To correct Biden, the patriotic approach is to foster a growing economy, which will provide jobs, opportunities and as a side effect, increased tax revenues.

#12     Sep 18, 2008

3. AAA, i've already corrected you once on this. His tax policy isnt hard to find. You may or may not agree with it, but it is going to be a large CUT for the vast majority of americans.

#13     Sep 18, 2008
  4. #14     Sep 18, 2008
  5. As bad as the right wing is, the left wing will make your life a living hell.

#15     Sep 18, 2008
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yep

#16     Sep 18, 2008
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yep

#17     Sep 18, 2008

8. true, but its the blind biases that aren't helpful. On both sides.

#18     Sep 18, 2008
  9. Um, NOPE.

Reagan was a perfect example of government spending more than it took in. Under Reagan, certain payroll taxes even increased.

The budget mess left by Reagan forced his successor to break his promise of no new taxes. Under Clinton, the budget was finally "balanced". Steve Forbes and others predicted depression and disaster when Clinton raised taxes, but they were wrong.

#19     Sep 18, 2008
  10. Agreed. But how to do that is up for debate.

#20     Sep 18, 2008