Biden calls paying higher taxes a patriotic act Is this a joke?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by John_Wensink, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Apparently the Kennedy's and the rest of the trust fund Democrats aren't patriots.

I wonder if he would consider just paying what you owe in taxes a patriotic act. Paging Mr. Rangel.

WASHINGTON - Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden said Thursday that paying more in taxes is the patriotic thing to do for wealthier Americans. The Republican campaign for president calls the tax increases their Democratic opponents propose "painful" instead of patriotic.

Under the economic plan proposed by Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, people earning more than $250,000 a year would pay more in taxes while those earning less — the vast majority of American taxpayers — would receive a tax cut.

"We want to take money and put it back in the pocket of middle-class people," Biden said in an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Noting that wealthier Americans would indeed pay more, Biden said: "It's time to be patriotic ... time to jump in, time to be part of the deal, time to help get America out of the rut."

Republican presidential candidate John McCain released a television ad Thursday charging that Obama would increase the size of the federal government amid an economic crisis. Contending that "a big government casts a big shadow on us all," the ad features the image of a shadow slowly covering a sleeping baby as it exaggerates the reach of the Obama tax proposal.

"Obama and his liberal congressional allies want a massive government, billions in spending increases, wasteful pork," the ad says. "And we would pay — painful income taxes, skyrocketing taxes on life savings, electricity and home heating oil. Can your family afford that?"

The McCain campaign said the ad is set to run nationally.

2. I don't totally agree with Biden, but I would say who break the law (i.e. tax cheats) are not patriotic and in fact are lousy Americans.

3. "We want to take money and put it back in the pocket of middle-class people," Biden said in an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Wow, at least he tells it like it really is. Legal theft.

[​IMG]

4. TGregg

TGregg

Hey you're not taking it up the butt for big biz bailouts and welfare cheats, but doing your patrotic duty by forking over your life savings. It's a privledge and an honor to sign your paycheck over to Uncle Sam so he can leverage it to borrow even more to hand out.

I don't know how these people can even find their polling places to vote. I bet a lot of `em wander around trying to vote at grocery stores, bars, corner mailboxes, public restrooms, etc.

5. I think you guys are taking it a little too far. He's just referring to the fact that our country needs money, and the top 5% hold 50% of the wealth, whil everyone else is watching their wealth deteriorate.

6. gnome

gnome

The assets of most of the "wealthy" are deteriorating as well.

But it has a lesser impact on paying for "life necessities" than the impact on the middle and poor. (Which, BTW, is a really good reason for everyone to aspire to wealth.)

7. True.

8. It's the irony of the whole thing.

The Democratic Chairman of the House Ways and Means Comittee, who writes the tax code doesn't pay his taxes.

The trust fund Kennedy's take advantage of every loophole available.

In MA they put an option on the ballot to voluntarily pay more taxes. Did John Kerry and the ketchup queen take advantage?

of course not.

9. hughb

hughb

The wealthy, (of which I am not one yet), are under attack with this new breed of Democrat. The Democratic party used to be the party of labor, and the Republican the party of business. Both have lost thier ways. The Dems have been evolving into this party of "limousine liberals" ever since FDR, and the Repubs are evolving into this whatever-the-fuck these neocons are ever since Newt and the phony Contract.

The wealthy are just as lazy and apathetic as any working class Joe Six Pack who wastes his life away in front of a television. If the wealthy don't want Biden coming to get their money, they need to get off their asses and do something. But they can't be bothered when they have a pedicure at 2 or a tee time at 6.

10. I am getting sick of this Obama lie that 95% will get a tax cut under him. He is proposing to classify welfare payments as tax rebates, even though the recipients paid no taxes. thus higher spending on welfare translates magically into a tax cut. Only the gullible media are dumb enough to swallow this.

The real question is, does anyone who actually pays tax get a cut under Obama? What do you think the answer is?

#10     Sep 18, 2008