Bezos says he is spending billions on space because of the way we destroy our own earth

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Jul 17, 2019.

1. By how much? Absolutely honest question. Until recently I have not questioned anything regarding environmental destruction and the path some are claiming we are all on. I believe in man made climate change. But what got me wondering is when someone challenged me on my views. Where is the proof? The evidence? Where does the theory emerge from that we have another 30 years how a lot of nut cases claim?

Please get me right. I am not a climate change denier and I probably rather choose to pay and invest to preserve the environment even with lacking Information on how severe man made changes are. And yet I can't shake it that this earth underwent several ice ages that were not impacted by any human beings yet impacted this environment many million times more severely than anything we are measuring and observing now. The earth still adopted and shook off a period of time that seemed hostile to its survival. I searched and searched and could find very little on the internet of substance (not conspiracy theories) that lay out exactly how a) much of human doing in measurable ways impacts the earth in adverse ways and b) how destructible it exactly is and how that measurable change is statistically significant given all the previous extreme events this earth underwent without human intervention. There is in fact extremely little that shows those two and connects them that makes sense and is logical to a human being with an IQ of 140 and more

#11     Jul 17, 2019
  2. Peter8519

Peter8519

The nearest habitable planet is at least 10 lightyears away. Jeff Bezos is not going to get there in his life time. Is he planning for a Gundam style Heliopolis ?

#12     Jul 18, 2019
  3. SteveM

SteveM

Bezos made his billions thanks to cargo ships, delivery trucks, cargo planes, trains, manufacturing plants, etc....all contribute massively to carbon emissions.

Let's not even discuss Amazon's "cardboard footprint".

But yeah - he is the white knight taking us to space because "WE" are destroying the planet.

No self-awareness amongst these corporate sociopaths.

#13     Jul 18, 2019
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  4. He's trying to out do Steve Jobs for biggest low life.

#14     Jul 18, 2019
    Clubber Lang and GRULSTMRNN like this.
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

He should be running the country with that resume, at least he can turn a buck.

#15     Jul 18, 2019
  6. Turveyd

Turveyd

Well the planet will be fine, just might not be compatible with the human race.

Could possibly live off the asteroid belts and on Mars, but without supply runs from Earth it'll need Asteroid Ice mining atleast ( The Expanse has this plan in detail ), but our ships aren't efficent enough, big enough, powerful enough so 100's of years and a tech leap to get there.

Out side of our solar system, would requite HUGE Multiple Generation ships, 1000 year trip or maybe they'll crack cyrogenics, freeze, wake up 1000 years later on a new planet maybe ??

Can't see speed of light being close to matched and Warp drive ever being real sadly.

p.s. Branson isn't in the running, his high altitude plane has Zero value other than attracting tourists to a near space experience for 200K+

#16     Jul 18, 2019
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Bezos is spending billions on space because he can afford to live his fantasy of megalomania. He wants to change earth for the better. Meanwhile, the earth has gotten along just fine without him for 4 billion years. And without any of us for that matter.

He is not doing it for the "children". He is doing it to try to gratify his own EGO with a "feel-good" initiative. It's BS. Because the only way he is going to get there, is...

#17     Jul 18, 2019
  8. ZTrader888

ZTrader888

What he's really saying is this: "We're only going to allow select people whose political philosophy matches mine to be part of our new environment". In other words, he's already on the path to discrimination and segregation. My best hope is that he spends a truck load of money and the project falls on its face.

Elitists like Bezos, Google, FB are using their money and their clout to take over the world. People have to start standing up to the takeover. Personally, I'm boycotting whatever I can. I don't use Amazon any more - I used to buy practically every day (their prices are through the roof now anyway). Closed the FB account. As for Google, it's unfortunate that we still have to use their search engine. There has to be a work around for that - some bright mind will come up with something (I hope).

#18     Jul 20, 2019
    athlonmank8 likes this.
  9. luisHK

luisHK

Bezos is also talking about moving production and associated pollution to space in order to better quality of life on Earth. I suspect the costs would be prohibitive right now but find it neither a bad nor too far fetched idea.

#19     Jul 20, 2019
  10. Overnight

Overnight

Why do you have to use their engine? There are others you can use.

The reason you don't use them is because Google has become the Band-Aidâ„¢ of searching. It's just so easy to use.

How about Bing? Or Metacrawler? Or DuckDuckGo?

By the way, there were search engines around before Google ever existed, like Metacrawler. Google did not start the Interwebs. People seem to equate Google with the beginning of computer time. #sad

#20     Jul 20, 2019