Beyond Twinkies: Why More Workers Are Striking

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by nutmeg, Nov 16, 2012.

1. The only real leverage "normal" folks have against "elites" is the fact that they vastly outnumber them. To exert this leverage, it is necessary to engage in periodic bouts of mob-like irrationality (which is actually rational, in the big picture).

#11     Nov 16, 2012
  2. when you go out on strike, that is who you are standing up for. 5000 people you don't even know, of all ages, races, and genders.

#12     Nov 16, 2012
  3. strategy not working. i suggest they change whatever they are doing.

[​IMG]

#13     Nov 16, 2012

4. if unions think what they are doing is working then thats great, more power to them, its their god given right to organize. but guess what? its not working.

#14     Nov 16, 2012
  5. so how's it working out for Twinkies?

as long as Union Membership is going down, everything is cool.

If it starts going back up, you better watch out, because that means there are more of us than there are of you.

The funny thing is, this last liberal girlfriend I had father was a Union Organizer. About a year before he called a strike (and it was important for him to call a strike from time to time to keep his job) he would sit down with management at some really fancy restaurant that ordinary people like you and me can't afford.

And they would work out a deal, including how long the strike was going to last.

#15     Nov 16, 2012
  6. clacy

clacy

Unions serve very little purpose on the modern US, which is now greatly globalized.

Did unions have value back when 12 year olds were climbing down mine shafts and working 70 hours/week?.... Yes of course, but in this day and age, they usually are a destructive force for the company, and long-term the employees as well.

#16     Nov 16, 2012
  7. It was all because Hostess wanted the workers to take a temporary 8% cut in pay. These guys were union making damn good money and benefits. Let them see how much they make standing in the unemployment line. You and I will pay their salaries until they get off their lazy ass's and find another job which most likely will be years from now if ever.

#17     Nov 16, 2012
  8. you sure it wasn't because Hostess makes really crappy products that no one wants to buy anymore?

#18     Nov 16, 2012
  9. Most likely they are all unskilled workers, perhaps they can all go get a job as a stock broker, insurance salesman, real estate salesman or used car salesman all = the same...Useless as tits on a Boar Hog.

#19     Nov 16, 2012
  10. clacy

clacy

It's both. They have relatively low demand, in a competitive environment where the margin has been deflated away. Since they are strapped with high labor costs, it's easy to see why the BK'ed.

#20     Nov 16, 2012