Beyond the Random Walk

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by vladiator, Dec 2, 2003.

1. What happened to that "Beyond random walk" book thread I started a while ago? Seems like it vanished into thin air. Not that I particularly feel attached to it or anything, but I keep getting PM'ed by people looking for that thread.
    Was there something said that was inappropriate? Weird. I have seen threads closed for being full of nasty attacks and nothing constructive. Even then - closed, not deleted :D
    Seems like it was contributing smth constructive to the membership. I had doubts about posting this inquiry b/c some people (most of whom are already on my ignore list, luckily) will just get an extra reason to attack me unnecessarily. But given the PM's I got, I figured I'd at least ask...

Cheers,
    V.
    PS Oh, wait, I know. I think it's b/c I said in the last post that it'd be nice if ET had a feature that showed the number of ignore lists a poster was on, right next to the number of posts :D
    Let's see if this one disappears, then I'll know for sure whether this was it....

2. that is a great idea IMO.

:D

3. Pure genious! That's a GREAT idea. The trolls may disagree :D

-Fast

4. It was deleted because barring the first post everything degenerated in to pissing contest .
    I am opening this thread and changing the name to reflect the book discussion.

5. Beyond the Random Walk: A Guide to Stock Market Anomalies and Low Risk Investing
    By Vijay Singal
    Is the book being referred to in the above discussion. I read it over the weekend. It has some good ideas which have been around for some years. The book is not in my opinion as good as the amazon reviews suggest.
    You can also see a review here.
    http://www.dailyspeculations.com/Letter/singalreview.html

6. after reading this review i have to wonder why is Vlad pushing the hell out of this book? :D

7. I have just recently read “Beyond the Random Walk” by Vijay Singal. At first I was impressed by the statistical support given to the claims of high probability strategies. However, after a closer look at the strategy implementation for "Short-Term Price Drift", which I was interested in trying, I'm not so impressed anymore.

I found that the instructions for conducting the stock screening process to be very weak, ambiguous and seemingly very difficult, if not impossible, to carry out exactly as needed. Unfortunately, Singal simply reveals the strategy's stock screening criteria but fails to explain exactly how to get this complicated process done. He does mention using Quotes-Plus database software to perform an initial screen, but after that there is no mention of what method or technique to use for the rest of the screening process. I feel that Singal has been very negligent in this regard, as the remainder of the screening process involves making some very complicated comparisons between "market adjusted" daily stock price and volume for the previous 12 months of daily stock data.

It’s one thing to write a book on a theoretical strategy, but if you’re not going to back it up with clear, practical explanations of how to implement the strategy, what’s the point?

OK, now that finished with my slagging rant on Singal – has anyone out there been able to decipher the chapter on "Short-Term Price Drift"? Has anyone actually been able to carry out the entire screening process from beginning to end exactly as instructed?” If you have, I would greatly appreciate your advice on conducting this complicated procedure.

Finally - I would be interested in hearing from anyone that would like to share their experiences with trading any of the book’s strategies, or any other comments you have on this topic.

8. I have this book on my shelf and after reviewing the chapter all I can say is:

If you need to be spoon fed, you'll be going hungry for a long time to come.

9. nitro

nitro

I enjoyed this book very much, and IMO, it is an instant classic.

nitro

10. Haven't read the book, however Mark Fisher's "Logical Trader"is about there being no "random walk". That was the thesis he wrote at Wharton.

#10     Mar 25, 2004