betterment of self

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by darkhorse, May 14, 2004.

1. So is your goal mastery of self or being recognized as the next Kovner or Soros :confused:

You write this long post about the benefits of aiming inward and then once you are challenged you come back with "I want to know what its like to make a million on a trade". Yeah Dark, you sure sound like a guy who has freed himself from the clutches of external factors...

My advice; less talk--more action. You want to know yourself, then stop thinking about yourself. The best way, other than through silence, to express the inexpressible is through action.

Good luck on your journey. Take it from someone who has walked the path for some time, its an arduous one fraught with many fits and starts.

#11     May 24, 2004
  2. I didn't say it was a goal to be the next Kovner or Soros; I said it was possible for it to happen. Maybe that's a brazen thing to say, but it's true so why not say it? I'm not saying it will happen, just that it's possible. Who knows where your best will take you?

It's about the experience. Flying higher, farther. Just because someone wants to climb Everest doesn't mean they want fame as a mountain climber. Doing something to see if you can do it.

And yes, I have an ego like everyone else so if someone suggests that I was trying cop for failure then I'll respond.

Shit man, I'm no buddha. I'm just a 28 year old dude. What makes me different is that I can see dramatic possibilities and recognize those possiblities can be made real. That doesn't mean I'll nod and smile and hand you a flower if you insult me. Getting better at it though, maybe when I'm 40 and I've got my black belt. I'll be like David Carradine, the roving kung fu macro trader. Trading on the beaches of Portugal and the mountains of New Zealand, shunning violence and confrontation except when an ass whupping is needed.

Where did this come from? How can you rate my level of "talk to action" when you have no idea what actions I'm taking? Or are you just saying that I'm talking too much period? If you thought what I wrote was bullshit why didn't you just say so?

It's a standard I try to live up to, and it's an alignment that I think is more productive than many others out there.

I offered it in the hope that others would benefit from the perspective, not to try and present myself as some kind of trading buddha.

Thanks

Don't need luck though, don't believe in it.

If I could communicate one thing to this board, it's that life can be incredible and that people can be who they were meant to be. If you want to do something amazing, you can do it. You can rise above mediocrity and maybe even change the world if you have the fire and the drive to pull it off.

But to do it, you have to get to the right place internally and externally. If people think that's a bunch of feel good bullshit, I don't care, because in reality it's the biggest challenge anyone can take on.

Once again I'm 28 years, I'm YOUNG (and so are you Commisso, last time I checked you were younger than me), I'm not some revered wise man with a beard down to his knee who has seen all the ways of the world. I just see amazing possibility, and so I pursue that amazing possibility, and it doesn't matter if I'm imperfect or weak or misaligned in the beginning because my drive is like white hot molten metal and it just burns away everything that stands in my way. I am not the fucking buddha, I am not delta neutral when it comes to insults and emotions, and I am not some swami with all kinds of advice. (When I act like it that's just my ego getting the better of me.) I'm just one dude who sees the big prize (which hasn't been fully defined yet) and has the balls to pursue it full tilt in a way that 999,999 out of 1,000,000 people never will. And I have a drive to share these feelings because the whole thing is just such a cool trip.

You and Elvis may be right though, a little less talk and a lot more action, I'm probably in the running for longest average thread length on this board (sorry harrytrader), maybe I should pack up my handle and take an even more serious break than my past ones, like a full year.

molten metal hypocrite zen bullshitter mystic christian macro monkey darkhorse over and out

#12     May 24, 2004
  3. Ah come on Dark my friend. I was just breaking your balls. God knows you did it to me when I was echoing the same theme a few years ago. I respect what you wrote and if you have been paying attention then you know our feelings on the matter are very much in accord.

I did mean what I wrote about forgetting yourself. In my experience, the more you think about yourself and the process then the harder its going to be to stay on the path. If you have ever meditated then you will know what I mean.

Good luck on your journey and I sincerely mean it :)

#13     May 24, 2004
  4. [​IMG]

A little less conversation, a little more action please
    All this aggravation ain't satisfaction in me
    A little more bite and a little less bark
    A little less fight and a little more spark
    Close your mouth and open up your heart and baby satisfy me
    Satisfy me baby

Baby close your eyes and listen to the music
    Dig to the summer breeze
    It's a groovy night and I can show you how to use it
    Come along with me and put your mind at ease

Close your mouth and open up your heart and baby satisfy me
    Satisfy me baby

Come on baby I'm tired of talking
    Grab your coat and let's start walking
    Come on, come on
    Come on, come on
    Come on, come on
    No procrastinating, don't articulate
    Girl it's getting late,you just sit and wait around

Shut your mouth and open up your heart and baby satisfy me
    Satisfy me baby

bye

#14     May 24, 2004
  5. are we seeking betterment of self or simply the betterment of process as it relates to trading ?

for me, trading is betterment of process. i seek betterment of self away from the markets.

surfer :)

#15     May 24, 2004

6. You were right though, I really do need to step up. Your advice was actually right on the mark bro! Right on it. Seriously, not saying this to be sarcastic.

At first I was like WTF get off my ass but after a few minutes I was like "you know what, he really is right. I'm not playing my A game right now."

So it's time to fix that.

all is well amigo :)

#16     May 24, 2004
  7. I am a very intuitive/discretionary trader, at least when it comes to my entries, so for me at least, there is no seperation between process and self...

#17     May 24, 2004

8. the intuitive process is a quantifiable entity. the method of accessing intuition is seperate and distinct from the self.

many confuse the two.

:)

#18     May 24, 2004
  9. LOL! The western mind. Quantify everything. You must know that you know, you can't simply just know. Thanks Surf that was a good one :) Stop reading that Flavia woman, she is making you sound a lil silly...

At anyrate, discussing intuition/self in any sort of rational-logical manner is something I no longer indulge in.

Hope all is well with you friend...

Well, back to The Iliad...

#19     May 24, 2004

10. hey, happy to see you again my friend. the fusion of east and west is what i seek......

dr. flavia works with the development of intuition--- it is no longer fully in the mystical realm. trust me on this one--- it's not silly at in the least.

all is well here !

s:) :)

#20     May 24, 2004