better univeristy = better trading job ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by will_jay, Aug 28, 2003.

1. 40Deuce

40Deuce

I'm pretty sure IIT (IL Institute of Technology) and Kent State now have disciplines in the Financial Markets/ trading as they have received endowments to set up "simulated" trading rooms.
    But as others have stated . . . trading is a craft you must learn in the real markets

#11     Aug 28, 2003
  2. Sure, the dumb did not go to college. If he did he would probably know how to manage his money. He made over $300 M in his career and is now considering filing for bankruptcy. If this guy is not an idiot then I don't know who is.

#12     Aug 28, 2003
  3. sammybea

sammybea

Nobody can deny that an ivy league university like Harvard or Columbia will open up more far more trading positions for you at distinguished firms. Thats not to disregard a state school, or community college. People who don't have drive will generally fail in any case. But def get into an ivy league if you can. I wish i had the chance.

#13     Aug 28, 2003
  4. BS!!!!!!!!

I went to state school, my wife went to ivy league school....I make 100 times more money then she does.....of course she's a stay at home mom now, :D

#14     Aug 29, 2003
  5. You can trade and go to school at the same time:eek:

A good college degree will make it easier for doors to open for you and if you find trading is not working out you have a Plan B.

For me, I was too bored and too impatient to finish school and I found that some doors need to be created by me with a sledgehammer.

#15     Aug 29, 2003
  6. c_verm

c_verm

I wanted to be a full time trader when I was 18. I still when to school and got my degree in business administration which gave me a great job when I finished school. This job provided me with everything I needed to become a full time trader.

It allowed me to get a house
    save up capital and take several daytrading, swing trading, ect.. courses on the side. I am not starting to trade full time and have never been so happy and excited!!

#16     Oct 13, 2003

7. Sound advice.

#17     Oct 13, 2003
  8. acrary

acrary

If you have the chance to choose a school, take a look at a firms college recruiting schedule to see what schools they visit. I was at a IB and we looked at 1st year MBA students from great schools for summer internships on trading desks. If it worked out, we tried to lock up a deal before they finished their second year of school.

Here's the recruiting calendar from Goldman. Make a note of the schools they'll be visiting.

http://www.gs.com/careers/recruiting_process/calendar/americas.html

#18     Oct 13, 2003
  9. ramora

ramora

Go to the best school you can get into.

You can now trade the European and Asian markets almost as easily as you can trade the US markets. One good advantage to trading is that it can fit your schedule if you are in school. Use all of your extra time to paper-trade, then swing trade, then trade shorter time frames.

At the end of 4 years plan on having your degree plus several years of part time trading experience.

I had dinner with a few friends last week. Two of the guys skipped college to become programmers and did extremely well until they hit their 30's. Although they were programming when they were 16 and 17 years old, and among the best coders I have met, they are now having a difficult time finding good positions. A 4 year degree is like a High School diploma was 20 years ago.

There is a real 'regret' to not having a college degree, and very little regret to working hard in school, trading part-time, and still achieving your goals.

Just my opinion....

ramora

#19     Oct 13, 2003