better univeristy = better trading job ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by will_jay, Aug 28, 2003.

1. will_jay

will_jay

hey everyone,
    just discovered this crazy site, tons of information I'm sure to spend much time looking over.
    I'm in my last year of high school and I wanted to get into trading as a full time job, not just as sum side hobby. Soon I will be applying to universities and I'm wondering if a more reputable school like Ivey or Queens would get me a better job in a major firm/company or would I expect the same level of employment straight out of university from a less known school.

I know that no university can teach you successful trading, it's all up to your own knowledge and experience, but im just curious because if i can expect the same job from two very different schools, ill have to think twice b4 deciding.

thanx.

2. Dustin

Dustin

Go to the best school you can get into. I would have put more effort into college if I had a second chance.

3. Momento

Momento

I would also suggest the same...
    (not that school had anything to do with my trading tho. .. and I bet you most successful traders on ET would agree with me.)

:) Best of luck young man.

4. Try to get into the best school.

Read Read Read on the job. Trading, investment banking, etc.

Goodluck

5. School's for losers. Did Mike Tyson go to college. F**k no. I came out early and my black ass is sittin in a 7 bathroom crib. Blow off all that tuition and let my man Don Bright set you up in Vegas!! Ain't no pair tradin or openin orders class in school. Maybe at UNLV when THE SHARK was there but no more. These colleges they just use you, then you get hurt and u cant sit on no tradin desk cause you got a bad spine or sumthin. F**ck classes.

6. Dear "The Answer",

You defend your thesis here with a lot of color. I'm just back from a trip to the "how do u determine if something is statistically significant" thread. This made me reflect a bit on Blaise Pascal who lived now about 350 years ago.

In fact this fellow, rather sickly, never went to college, not even to school, somewhat like your your example Mike Tyson. Blaise Pascal would have been a great fellow for us to have had on the ET threads! He is considered to be the origin of probability theory, he wrote a lot about roulettes, as a youth he built the first (or second) mechanical calculator in history, he is at the origin of a lot of what is known as "the conic sections" with which they still bug our kiddies in schools all over the world. Besides that he did some stuff on the existence of God, very popular thread around here, was a fierce defender of the intellectual rights of people (Provinciales) and is still honored by the French as one of the giants who shaped their language.

So dear "The Answer", you gave us something to think (and write) about. In fact it would be interesting to see whether 350 years from now somebody will still remember Mike Tyson. Nononsense is sure many people will still remember Blaise Pascal at that time.

Be good,

nononsense

7. def

def Sponsor

You'll certainly be able to find a prop firm to take you in. Perhaps you'll even do well but... if you have any ambitions to be a fund manager or work on an institutional trading desk you'll need an education. Besides, if you have the opportunity to go to a top school, why give up perhaps the best 4 years of your life. You can always switch from a "real/corporate" job to trading at many of the prop firms. However, it isn't so easy the other way around.

8. Go get your college degree then do trading. College grads probably learn faster how to trade. Take a look at daytradinguniversity.com. Paper trade today (position trading. from the long side that's picking stocks that then go up, day or swing trade). You'll see that you don't know how to do it. When you can paper trade successfully then go live.

9. I once heard that a *masters degree in mathmatics from Oxford* would get you a good trading job. We are still waiting for the results on that one. :D Also, as best as I can remember, you would've had to have worked your way up from the ghetto for the best results.

Do a search on it - it's in the archives somewhere. :D

10. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

At the end of the day your degree is merely a piece of paper. You are your own resource and will need to make your own path through life, career etc. Get a good education and go to the most competitive school that you can afford. Just remember that the whole experience relies on you to come out with an education: not your professors or the school. Translating all of the experience into a job and career will also require your own resources - dont depend upon the school to do this for you. If you already know what you want to do then focus in on this - be advised that your views may change as you move through school and receive more information ....

#10     Aug 28, 2003