Better setup for heavy use Excel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maninjapan, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Hi all, apologies for the tardiness in replying.... Firstly thank you everyone who offered a solution. As always, more than one way to skin a cat.... There were a number of solutions offered to improve the macro itself. A bit above my level at the moment but something to work on for future projects. Going to look at upgrading my excel on the win 7 too. I played around with some settings also suggested and I did see some slight improvements but others were already setup What I have ended up doing though is getting a couple of other XP machines up and running, which has greatly sped up the process. Maybe not the prettiest, but seemed to me that this was the easiest and quickest solution to my problem. Once again though, Thanks to everyone who has offered advice on the topic. Definitely know a lot more now than I did before

#21     Feb 21, 2014
  2. easymon1

easymon1

Now your ready to have sodas with an intern or two till you find someone appropriate to configure your intended machine so it calculates like Stephen Hawking.

#22     Feb 21, 2014
  3. R1234

R1234

64 bit install of office is the way to go. Excel runs an order of magnitude faster and does not crash anymore.

#23     Feb 21, 2014
  4. xandman

xandman

I am not sure if this is a given, but did you consider streamlining your add-ins?

1) Disable all COM add-ins, if your not using them.
    2) Consider replacing your macros with functions that come from a C++ based (XLL) add-in.

In any case, please tell us if you find a free repository of these XLL add-ins. : )

A subscription based product is http://www.qmatix.com/XLQ_Purchase.htm. Probably, the best product available to retail.

#24     Feb 24, 2014
  5. Thanks xandman, another option for me to look at that I didn't even know was available.

#25     Feb 24, 2014
  6. Ok guys, I'm having an issue with excel. It's not directly related to the thread title, but it has only started happening since I started this project and can't help but think something I have done along the way has caused the issue. I was hoping someone has had a similar experience or knew of the issue and a solution.... ( office 2010 on Win 7)

I have started getting messages "The selection is too large..." when I try and copy ( actually a translation of the message as I work with Japanese windows)
    The message pops up twice after I copy a selection. I am still able to copy and paste the selection, however this happens every time I try and copy and paste a row or column of data and is extremely time consuming not too say annoying.... It is even happening with a completely new workbook with no data (ie a blank column or row).
    Every time I then try and shut down excel I also get a notice about large amounts of data on the clipboard..

I have tried running a repair of office which doesnt seem to have helped. I have also deleted all the deletable custom cell formats. I plan on doing a complete OS reinstall if required but I was hoping that one of the much more excel savvy who had contributed to date would have something to try before it came to that.....

#26     Feb 24, 2014
  7. You may or may not find your answer on this forum, but you'll be much better off over at ms technet forums for excel 2010.

#27     Feb 24, 2014
  8. SIUYA

SIUYA

check out excel sites.
    I always goggle using "Excel Vba 'something something'"

It sounds like you need to switch off the alerts, and also clear the memory in your VBA macro.
    Trust me on this if you do do a lot of even simple VBA macros with a lot of cut and paste, reading of text files and or data.....its well worth spending the time working out how to efficiently cut and paste, use arrays and resize them and how to read and write info to and from text files (as opposed to using other excel sheets simply to hold data)

#28     Feb 25, 2014
  9. SIUYA, this isnt something Im experiencing with my macros, ( I have them all turned off). This is a problem that I am now having when I manually copy and paste. And it could be a completely new book but still experiencing this problem.... Havent been able to find anything helpful on google either....

#29     Feb 25, 2014
  10. SIUYA

SIUYA

never had that problem. Sounds like some memory issue....beyond my scope I am afraid.
    However - its still worth learning the stuff for macros as you can turn off the alerts..

#30     Feb 25, 2014