Better Paper: WSJ or IBD?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NJ1000, Jan 30, 2004.

1. My experience exactly. I just let my IBD subscription lapse when the renewal bill came for $311, including tax. Last year it was $230. Give me a break, I like it but not for that price. WSJ online is a good deal by comparison. I used to get it for free from a broker but I'm not sure who provides it now. Cyber provides Briefing.com for free, which is a nice perk.

#31     Feb 4, 2004
  2. gnome

gnome

Charmin would serve you better as a "daily paper" than either.

#32     Feb 4, 2004
  3. so many people read both.

#33     Feb 5, 2004
  4. WSJ

#34     Feb 5, 2004
  5. Donkell

Donkell

The wsj hands down.
    but neither is going to help make you a fortune but the wsj will give better explanations of what is going on after it happens.

I use CyberTrader and it indicates which stocks are moving and those are the ones I play at the time.

If a stock goes up too much or down too much the wsj will be better at explaining why and you can go from there.

I let my IBD expire as I thought it was pretty worthless.

It pretends to show you how to trade, but as many here have said, "they let their subscriptions expire" and it is very over priced.

He probably has made most of his money on that paper and the books he tries to sell

Don

#35     Feb 7, 2004
  6. Mecro

Mecro

LOL

WSJ is for sheeps. If you need WSJ to help you explain stock moves, you need some serious luck as well to make any money trading.

The mass marketing cheap volume production of WSJ should be enough of a tip off to stay away from it if you expect to make any money trading.

#36     Feb 7, 2004
  7. baa baa. I enjoy the WSJ, especially the editorial page.

#37     Feb 7, 2004
  8. tharnett

tharnett

IBD is much more of a traders newspaper in my opinion. They seem to have a better pulse of the market, whereas the WSJ is much more of an editorial paper. The WSJ is a great paper and you might just get both, but for strictly trading I would go for IBD.
    Hope this helps.

#38     Feb 11, 2004
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

I trade mostly indexes in relatively short time frames so yesterday's news (pretty much all newspapers) don't do me much good. With that said I haven't bothered reading a WSJ in years but unless it's been improved recently I think IBD is way ahead of WSJ as far as useful information on both the economy and individual stocks.

#39     Feb 12, 2004
  10. ==

Check out the e- editions, speed read or detailed reads;

sister company consisting of

smartmoney.com

& IBD consisting of

investors.com

#40     Feb 12, 2004