Better Paper: WSJ or IBD?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NJ1000, Jan 30, 2004.

1. That last post reminded me of something that I didn't take advantage of when I started out which is this. You can now write a lot of this stuff off. XMSR/SIRI radio for example. Hell you need that stuff for the bloomberg radio on the trip to work, those papers, your subscription to realmoney, the financial times, whatever, have your accountant deduct all that stuff. Books you need to help you along your path...writeoffs. Save reciepts!

:cool:

#21     Jan 31, 2004
  2. the wall street journal, hands down. it is an interesting, easy to read, info packed , entertaining pure pleasure.

IBD is sooooo boring and predictible.

best,

surfer:)

#22     Jan 31, 2004
  3. WSJ used to be the paper for the Trade (Wall Street), IBD seemed to be aimed at Investors (Main St.).

#23     Jan 31, 2004
  4. sukhen

sukhen

WSJ doesn't serve your purpose any way unless you've to talk/present in a meeting whatsoever, IBD may be a little relevant to your actual job.

#24     Jan 31, 2004
  5. TD80

TD80

This is how I look at it:

Wall Street Journal vs. IBD = CNBC vs. bloomberg.

I find alot more traders on or off floor seem to watch cnbc. In my opinion, cnbc is as close to worthless as possible for a financial news channel. If you want a serious show, go with bloomberg. I find that conclusion pretty close for the two papers above as well. However, an interesting point has been made here by others. It seems since more read/watch one, it tends to be more relevant to what is on people's minds.

Just my opinion, I know there are some real die hard wsj and cnbc fans out there, to each their own! I'd just rather have more technical/business oriented news sources for my operations.

Goodluck,

#25     Jan 31, 2004
  6. a few months ago I was in the office of the treasurer of a very large company--the largest of its kind in the world. he had three screens on his desk: two were his bloomy quote machine and the other was a tv tuned to cnbc.

#26     Feb 1, 2004
  7. Arnie

Arnie

After subscribing to IBD for a few years, I just let my subscription lapse. I think its over priced. I can run down the street and buy the Monday edition for $1.50 = $78/year. IBD wants $189 for this. By the way, this is their "weekly" service. I think I will try the on-line version of WSJ.

I agree with some of the others about not reading anything prior to the trading day. Sometimes the best trades are the ones that go against conventional wisdom. This can be hard to do if your thinking is influenced by an article you just read.

The absolute worst is Barrons. Pure crap.

#27     Feb 2, 2004
  8. Neither will make you a better trade, imo.

In my experience, the WSJ is simply more timely. When I subscribed to both, I often had some stories in IBD be one day later than WSJ.

I use the WSJ to get a take on what stories people are talking about. Helps avoid certain stocks or adjust risk params.

#28     Feb 2, 2004
  9. seisan

seisan

For those of you attending The World Money Show the remaining two days (Feb. 4th and 5th) at the Gaylord Palms Resort in Orlando, you might want to stop by the Barron's/Barron's Online booth to see if they have a $20 Off card (for their $79 basic rate) that they've typically handed out in past Money Shows with a copy of Barron's and WSJ newspapers.

A pretty good deal for a year's online subscription to both Barron's and The Wall Street Journal. Far cheaper than newspaper subscriptions, no papers to pile up, and years of archived editions or columns.

(Dow Jones & Company usually doesn't sponsor a booth at the Traders Expo - guess it figures not enough of the trading industry reads either of its markets papers[!] - even though one hears Bob and Don Bright review stock market numbers and articles from Barron's every Saturday on their radio/internet show....)

Athough not (yet) listed as an exhibitor at this year's fast-approaching and huge New York International Traders Expo, maybe Barron's/WSJ will use this opportunity to test the Trader market, especially since the Traders Expo is an InterShow production (as is The Money Show), and the venue is right there in the Big Apple with the Dow Jones & Company, headquarters.

Whada'ya say Messrs. Bourquin and Sugarman at The Traders Expo, and Editor Gold at Barron's Online?...

#29     Feb 3, 2004
  10. pspr

pspr

The WMS is at the Gaylord Palms? If so, you guys need to go there just to be able to stay at the Gaylord. I just saw it a month or so ago and it is a really neat place. Great, great open atrium! Shops, forest, jungle, rivers, ponds, gators, etc.

#30     Feb 3, 2004