Better off as a plumber?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Mar 18, 2011.

Is the value of an education reaching "not worth it" levels?

1. Yes. It is one big ego trip and many jobs pay well with minimal education.

61 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. No. Even at current costs it is still worth it many times over.

26 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. I don't know.

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. I don't care.

20 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. I read a short note regarding plumbers which is not verified but where I read it was credible. The author mentioned that it is not an uncommon charge of aprox 10k to unplug a toilet in the nyc subway system. This was cited as a reason some restrooms remain closed, people constanly pluggin toilets for no reason.

-------------
    My comments on farmers. Everyone was a farmer back in the day (and perhaps a law background) when this country was founded, the founders wrote up some common sense which has stood the test of time.

Today, everyone (almost) is a lawyer in Congress and that it all they are. No background in any area outside the field of law.

If you had to sweat, smell shit, get your hands dirty and suffer the consequences of risk (weather,insects, etc) perhaps we would have better law.

#41     Mar 19, 2011
  2. One of my flyfishing buddies is a plumber. He has his own business. He's doing extremely well. He employs some 14 folks. He makes well into six figures. Several hundred thousand dollars a year. He owns lake front property in Northern Ca, Lake front Property Out in Montana to go flyfishing. And a Ranch in NV. He has a few boats. A beautiful 4wd Diesel pickup, a Big ass trailer to drag around to go hunting and flyfishing and to crash in and party in. You idiots are so stupid you don't even have a clue. As a plumber his crew is doing the plumbing for all sorts of properties. Million dollar home construction at Lake Tahoe, 300+ unit apartment complexes, office buildings, shopping centers etc. He isn't fucking unclogging toilets. That is a rotor rooter guy that does that. When you guys blow up your whopping $5000 trading account you'll be doing that for $10 an hour.

I went to college and got my BA in Economics and Accounting and a masters in Taxation. Those degrees have enabled me to be a successful Trader/Investor etc. My tax knowledge has allowed me to keep more of my profits than you. Hell just the Sociology and Psychology classes I had as electives gave me a wealth of knowledge that gives me a massive edge over anyone that has no education or understanding in these areas. An education and knowledge is everything in this world and especially in trading. You either have to go to college or self educate. Either way you can't escape getting an education. High school drop outs that have no understanding of economics, finance, financial skills, are just fodder for the cannons if they try and trade. They are way out classed.

It always comes up that the loser dummies on here try and poo poo a college education.

I went to UCSB. The southern california pussy I got was unbelievable. I poked so many sweet blonds every which way. I studied hard and partied hard. College is fun and a great experience. Don't l;isten to the lazy losers. They are either to lazy to go to college or to stupid to be admitted, that is why they are trying to trade. That is why they are trying to tell others that college is useless. They are trying to justify to themselves their laziness or inability due to stupidity or lack of money of not going to college.

In college you learn to critically think and analyze. These are skills you need as a trader.

An individual can start a business or go to college. Both are a good route.

#42     Mar 19, 2011
  3. I'm a plumbing contractor and am thankful to be in one of the few timeless professions that will never go away and will always be essential and vital to civilization.

I came up in construction plumbing and used to laugh at the service plumbers aka Turd Herders...but in this economy, the one thing that will stay consistent is service plumbing. I am one of the few contractors in my area that has stayed busy in construction and remodel plumbing throughout the whole recession. I have become sick of turning down extra money because I'm not a Turd Herder...so now I do construction, remodel, service, repair. There are alot of angles to hit and make some cash.

The skills are very hard-won. You learn thousands of hard lessons and develop very fine skills and great finesse. You don't have to be a genius, just need common sense. But you can't be a dumbshit, at least about your work. Save the buffoonery for your personal life lol. Plumbing is not rocket science, but it is science and it does require alot of depth and the ability to really think things through, solve tough problems.

I could go on and on, but to sum it up, it's a great trade, one of the best in the world. You can break your back, knees, and fingers in the field, or become a plumbing business mogul raking in six figures, sky's the limit.

All that being said, still want to phase out of plumbing as soon as I have enough capital and prove that I can make a consistent and substantial enough buck trading...until then...no hurries, no worries except for trying to fill the huge list of plumbing projects that are lining up right now.

My knees are fucked up, back is stiff, and I'm often sore but it's all good lol. As long as I'm still able to surf, kickbox, or play punk rock gigs with my bands life is good!

#43     Mar 19, 2011
  4. plumber belongs to the lowest cast in many cultures like japan india, eu etc. It is a problem finding partner except from the lowest cast.

thats why you dont see plumbers outsurced by indians :D

here in au, 1 day they will take your 2k.

you may get rich but there are minuses....

#44     Mar 19, 2011
  5. basic safety rule while working on cars: pull the wrench/ratchet, don't push it. i know sometimes it's not possible, but in that case wear gloves to protect your knuckles.

#45     Mar 19, 2011
  6. your buddy isn't a plumber, he's a business owner who started out as a plumber. there's a big difference.

#46     Mar 19, 2011
  7. Frostie

Frostie

I started out as a plumber and got my ticket when I was 22 years old. I worked for two different companies and learned the business from two different angles. I moved onto heating and refrigeration shortly after I became a journeyman plumber and received my journeyman refrigeration mechanic license after 3 years. After working for someone else for 8 years while I got my tickets, I partnered up and we started a HVAC/Plumbing business.

Our company does between $600-800k a year in sales and our margins are quite high. It is a lot of work and a lot of headaches but in the end their is substantial benefit.

If you look earnings between my wife and I(she did 4 years of university, started working after university to do 2 years of articling and 2 years of masters while working) I have almost triple the amount of income over the 12 years since we graduated high school. It will take at least 20 years for her income over time to match mine and that assumes there is no increase in my income and their are annual increases in hers.

#47     Mar 19, 2011
  8. There you have it...(siad in Chevy Chase's voice)

#48     Mar 19, 2011
  9. It's caste, not cast. Good thing there's a plumber here to do spell check for you. :)

#49     Mar 19, 2011
  10. World knowledge/information = Highly educated.

a primitve/tribal person who can find food, water and shelter in forest is highly educated.

#50     Mar 19, 2011