Best wireless provider for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxon22, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Thanks for the info I will investigate Sprint to see what's up.:D :D :D :D

#11     Jan 8, 2007
  2. I spoke to the fellows from verizon. 10 gigs and you are out is the short version of the conversation. Cingular was not helpful at all, the main store guy knew nothing. Sprint is next. I am off on Monday and will try to get some info from Sprint, see what they have to offer. Will report promptly.

#12     Jan 15, 2007
  3. How safe is the wireless connection? Can someone hack into it and eventually take over your trading account?

#13     Jan 18, 2007
  4. I was wondering if someone had successfully set up a system that complies with Verizon's restrictions...

OK, Verizon allows VPN. I have my private network at home that I can VPN to. I can have a dedicated machine at home running on a wired DSL connection, for example running Quotetracker or some other graphing application.

Now how can I get charting on my laptop, running a Verizon aircard, complying with their restrictions, and keeping the data rate down so I don't trip the 10Gig/month restriction... say I am satisfied with screen updates every 5 to 15 seconds? I could trade using IB's WebTrader so I am not "streaming". Do I use Remote Desktop, some other secret sauce?

Ideas welcome.

#14     Feb 11, 2007
  5. i use sprint in NYC and Philly.

their new EVDO network is the bomb.

plus the cards are free or were.

surf

#15     Feb 11, 2007

6. Same here. Sprint as of now has the best deal. Card is free and the unlimited EVDO connection is $59 a month w/2 year contract. 1 year is $79 and the card is another $80. I have used it for 2 weeks and I have yet to have a connection dropped or any other problems. Very satisfied. Plus they give 30 days money back if you are not happy deal. So I would give it a try. They are better than Cingular and Verizon at least here in NYC.

#16     Feb 11, 2007

7. i love the sprint network. i have traded( once) in the back of my car on the way to NYC on xtrader via sprint and never had an issue.

#17     Feb 11, 2007
  8. anyone use a Blackberry or similar device as modem for laptop on the EVDO? Market, I would imagine you have the card for a laptop v. a phone as modem (?). Anybody have experience with a Blackberry 8703e and Sprint?

#18     Feb 14, 2007