best ways to go long/short volatility...

Discussion in 'Options' started by cdcaveman, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Long ditm back month short front atm's ......?
    Upstairs guys.... I hear that talked about a lot.

What do the floor guys do different.

You know some of these fuckers?

#41     Sep 6, 2012
  2. marameo

marameo

Now you're talking!

• fly.png
      File size:
      57.1 KB
      Views:
    #42     Sep 6, 2012
  3. Yeah, the guy I mentioned who went bust going long vol in CL.

#43     Sep 6, 2012
  4. I've heard them called locals..... floor traders

Upstairs=prop desk?

#44     Sep 6, 2012
  5. Upstairs to mean liquidity takers.

#45     Sep 6, 2012
  6. Umm hmm I'm always interested in hearing about how people blow up... there are sooooo many ways to fuck yourself...there's no where to hide if your a pussy. Haha. Or if you think you got it licked

#46     Sep 6, 2012
  7. Short fly with short wings....... Friday of monthly opex.... put it on for the next weeks expire.. figuring on the underlying unhooking from open interest
    ?

#47     Sep 6, 2012
  8. i'm pretty sure OI only sometimes has an effect ... but just from some feedback and readings... it seems randomness has such an effect that even if OI does have a little bit of an effect.. Randomness will blow out those effects often enough for them to be hard to exploit...

So i look at trades on AAPL, BIDU, GS, GOOG... does anyone have parameters.. or shall i say a good filter for coming up with tickers that have good premium or should i be thinking differently? maybe is there good way to look for tickers that have overpriced premium on a regular basis? or vice versa?

#48     Sep 10, 2012
  9. I know (knew) a man who was in the same boat

#49     Sep 10, 2012
  10. how many people admit their own blow ups... ?!!@ really.. so many ways to cut your own throat out there..

#50     Sep 10, 2012