best ways to go long/short volatility...

Discussion in 'Options' started by cdcaveman, Sep 3, 2012.

1. You can't make money without risk..... that's obvious of course. But the wider you spread your wings and the farther out you go the more your neutralizing yourself... get a profit calculator

Like hoadley's or use ur brokers platform if it has on to play with the assumptions

#31     Sep 5, 2012
  2. marameo

marameo

I am not saying I'll make money without risk. Just wanted to follow the OP and see if flies are good way to go long/short volatility.

I do have Hoadley on Excel. Yet, I don't generally get a rush in playing assumptions, I am more focused on analyzing options past prices and try and understand.

By the way, I'd like to share this article about volarbs and how the play volatility!

#32     Sep 5, 2012
  3. That's how flies actually work in the mkt, which should suggest to you that a fly isn't a particularly good way to express a long/short vol view.

#33     Sep 5, 2012
  4. Enlightened us..... its a replacement for straddles on a long short vol expression ... capping your risk by limiting your payoff.... tell us something other then "this isn't the best way". We need insight... I started this thread to get insight

#34     Sep 5, 2012
  5. Well, basically, when you buy a fly, you're "pinning" the strike. The market isn't gonna give you the money until the strike is well and truly pinned, i.e. vol completely collapses or you actually expire.

That's just based on my personal experience, so take w/pinch of salt.

#35     Sep 6, 2012
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

You can't practically speaking take on vol risk without taking on some gamma risk. Vol is really a fixed/floating swap where you buy or sell the fixed rate (implied vol) and receive/pay the floating rate (realized vol).

If yout think vol will go up then you expect the market to either realize more vol or agree with you. Why would you sell any options into that. Your potential pnl is unlimited.

With regards to butterflies and short vol, marti is right. It takes a lot more time to make money because of the pin to expiry. But my personal experience has been that protection from gap risk outweighs this issue.

If you are only looking for implied vol moves, you will probably be dissatisfied with your returns. Bid/offer and the requirement of more complex structures to get you gamma flat will require larger positions and the understanding of other risks (term structure, skew, etc).

#36     Sep 6, 2012
  7. Time is relative... shorter wing spread faster you pump the vol out... no such thing as delta neutral or gamma flat

#37     Sep 6, 2012
  8. ..

Soon less complex being???

#38     Sep 6, 2012
  9. I agree that flies are a poor long vol trade. Why limit the outlier for what's often a asymmetric risk? A straddle and a fly converge as you add width to the strikes, so if you knock the fly it's also an argument against the straddle. Narrow flies are not a bet on anything but a pin.

Gamma trading an ATM option IS a straddle.

So what to trade for the upstairs guy who wants long vola and doesn't want to ratio into some moronic naked short wing calendar? (Why trade the ratio calendar/diag when it quickly flips modality on vega?)

I like 1:1 diags which solve for a minimal gain if DITM, but hit max payout at mid (between spot and strike). Nearly flat gamma and a few thetas.

#39     Sep 6, 2012
  10. At least with flys you know exactly how hard you can get fucked

#40     Sep 6, 2012