Best way to start trading Futures?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by paulr, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Genesis

Genesis

What is the charting symbol for ES & NQ in IB software? Is it best to trade the near March futures or June and subsequent contracts? If March is now better to trade because of volume, when do you start trading the next contract? Thanks in advance!

#31     Jan 17, 2003
  2. No charting with IB but you can use quotetracker with the IB feed
    Better to trade the fronth month
    Start trading the june on thursday the week before expiration

#32     Jan 17, 2003
  3. Genesis

Genesis

Thanks, Marathon! Just downloaded Quotetracker w/ IB as feed. Having problems finding symbols for ES & NQ contracts! Thanks for the info!

#33     Jan 17, 2003
  4. taodr

taodr

Symbols for Quotetracker are globex:mad:esh3

globex:nqh3

#34     Jan 17, 2003
  5. No problem.

The only problem with IB+quotetracker is that you can't save historical data (only the current day will be charted intraday).

If you need a cheap data vendor check myTrack + Sierrachart / SSchart (these two softwares also work with IB data feed) for around 50$/mth + exchange fees

#35     Jan 17, 2003
  6. Genesis

Genesis

Thanks, taodr & Marathon.:)

#36     Jan 17, 2003
  7. I totally agree with db's post. Linda does both. She is continually teaching and also making realtime calls which are very good. A small trader will have problems though because she often averages into positions and partials out of positions and this is an integral part of her method, so for someone like me who was trading a single contract, it can cause problems. I do not want to depend on someone elses call either but if I ever reach the point where I thought I could not make it on my own I will go back to her room with a larger account and make money off her calls.

#37     Jan 17, 2003
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

It's important to know exactly what you want before you ever sign up for a trading room. Otherwise the money is likely to be wasted.

If one is going into a trading room with the intent of trading whatever calls the guru makes, he needs to take the time to find out whether or not the calls made are generally profitable (forget about past "results"), or are at least profitable to the extent that the follower expects.

If one is going into a trading room with the intent of learning how to trade, he needs to focus not so much on the calls and the results (since he probably won't be mimicking the strategy point for point) but on what's behind those calls. If he thinks he's going to make easy money while "studying", probably with the idea that the trading room will pay for itself, he's likely to be disappointed.

In other words, no matter the reasons for joining a trading room, it's to the follower's benefit to pay attention, listen, take notes, study and consider the fee to be tuition. Non-refundable. To think that one will be ready to begin trading in two or three weeks, much less two or three days, is just not realistic.

--Db

#38     Jan 17, 2003