Best way to short Orange Juice

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by yabz, Sep 3, 2018.

1. maxinger

maxinger

well.
    My estimate is that more than 90% of all the exchanges financial instruments
    have very low or even zero volume.

I guess exchanges like to keep a very long list of financial instruments.

#11     Sep 4, 2018
  2. always fascinated me the rhyme or reason behind launching futures products. Walked in the floor 1 day and there was a man (or woman) in cow costume and I think that was the launch at the NYBOT of cheese or milk futures. You would think milk futures would take off right? everyone uses it.. probably traded like 50 lots 1st day , 20 the 2nd..... cannabis futures would prob have a better following with a correlated instrument like White Castle futures.

#12     Sep 4, 2018
  3. treeman

treeman

Honestly, I’d love to be short coffee.. but these thinly trades instruments are the pits. And once they hit the daily limit, you’re handcuffed. Most times for days. The worst part was at one point, in order to get out, I asked my broker if I could just buy some way in the money calls, and force execution (I was and still am short, but it was after 3 limit up days in a row). Their answer- they don’t deal in lumber options. Fml. Then why quote the options?? Anyhow, lesson learned for me. At least I ended up making money on the lesson, and that’s a first.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    #13     Sep 4, 2018
    Reformed Trader likes this.
  4. options might be useless on lock limits bec the ones selling it to you won't be able to lay off the risk. Now if u rtalking 1-3 lots, maybe someone the considers 1-3 chump change might get you out.. prob at a premium over fair value. or... you could go to home depot and but a truck of lumber as a hedge...now you are long spot short the future. Your neighbors gonna love you though.. where u gonna put all that lumber.

#14     Sep 4, 2018
  5. treeman

treeman

haha. Nice. Home Depot run, including renting a big rig for delivery... all as a hedge. A Target and Walmart run for the OJ equivalent? I'd need to buy a bunch of freezers to go along with it.

#15     Sep 4, 2018
  6. JSOP

JSOP

Sounds like the perfect underlying for iron condor or short strangle if it doesn't move much.

#16     Sep 4, 2018
  7. treeman

treeman

Where do you see it doesn’t move much?

#17     Sep 4, 2018
  8. srinir

srinir

In what world, limit up and limit down means not moving much?

#18     Sep 4, 2018
  9. treeman

treeman

I also didn’t say it was one right after the other. But we have charts so that you can see. Lumber has moved.

#19     Sep 4, 2018
  10. JSOP

JSOP

Didn't you say "you can't move"? I misunderstood?

#20     Sep 4, 2018