Best way to reduce theta burn???

Discussion in 'Options' started by short&naked, Jun 14, 2009.

1. dmo

dmo

Sorry Xflat, my post was poorly worded and not very clear. Let me try again.

What I meant to say was that any of the following factors is associated with higher theta (but they are not necessarily associated with each other):

- Higher IV
    - Less time remaining
    - Being more at-the-money

Conversely, the following factors are associated with lower theta:

- Lower IV
    - More time remaining
    - Being more out-of-the-money (or more in-the-money for that matter)

#11     Jun 15, 2009
  2. No biggie

#12     Jun 15, 2009
  3. Is there a way to sell a put while going long a call to get back the theta that burns away over time with the long call?

#13     Jun 21, 2009
  4. Sure. Just construct an otm synthetic. I do it all the time. But swapping long gamma risk for increased delta risk isn't always a panacea either....

#14     Jun 21, 2009
  5. The idea would indeed to replicate a futures position and create a money management system for short-term (days - week) trend following on the SPY.

Only 2% of equity would be dedicated to the option purchase (eliminating the need for a stop).

Assuming all of the above, what option risks would you recommend I hedge? Which risks would have to then be magnified?

#15     Jun 21, 2009
  6. Atticus and a few other guys are like having Cottle here, so hopefully if I give you half-ass advice they'll quickly correct me.

Other than delta risk-and of course minute basis risk, i.e. if you pay way beyond fair value for the synthetic-there isn't much gamma consideration until one of the options becomes closer to being atm. Particularly close to expiration.
    P.S. Yes I know if you're long a synthetic on an index plunge that the otm put iv will skyrocket but in that scenario your long deltas are going to be a far bigger worry than a temp spike in vol......

#16     Jun 21, 2009
  7. Thanks for your post. I must admit that some of this is over my head (good options book anyone? :D )

#17     Jun 21, 2009
  8. Natenberg/Hull :)

#18     Jun 21, 2009
  9. The synthetic does nothing to reduce risk; it's a method of trading calls from puts when you're forced into a position you don't want.

A narrow risk-reversal [split-strike] combo is as close as you can get to replicating a futures position and maintain greek risk beyond delta. A same-strike combo = synthetic futures.

Deltas increase as strikes converge in a split-strike or risk-reversal, eventually reaching 100 as you trade the same-strike combo. Deltas rise/fall with an increase/decrease in vol; synthetic strangle to straddle convergence.

#19     Jun 21, 2009
  10. Let's say I sell 950 calls and buy 900 puts at even. (not doable right here, but as an example.)

Can you describe other than short deltas things I should know or look out for, greek wise? Thanks!

#20     Jun 21, 2009