Best way to measure Vega effect on MTM

Discussion in 'Options' started by TskTsk, Feb 15, 2012.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Yeah. Taking the average of the before vega and the after vega will give a better approximation.

Remember these terms individually are generally smaller than bid offer - so the noise number can be quite large relatively speaking.

#21     Feb 16, 2012
  2. TskTsk

TskTsk

Alright thanks for all the help guys, things make lot more sense to me now

Also, this speak about vega convexity has me thinking. The formula 0.5*gamma*movement^2 predicts P/L wrt Delta changes in position, with starting point at 0 delta.

Would it then be possible to apply the formula 0.5*vomma*movement^2 to calculate P/L wrt Vega changes in a position with starting point at 0 vega?

#22     Feb 16, 2012
  3. Probably, but why?

#23     Feb 16, 2012
  4. TskTsk

TskTsk

Nothing spesific. Just useful to have a known formula to apply when vomma scalping

#24     Feb 16, 2012
  5. Vomma scalping? You try vomma scalping and you might end w/o a scalp...

#25     Feb 16, 2012
  6. TskTsk

TskTsk

Not following you....the only way you'd end up without a scalp is if IV doesn't move after you put on the vomma position...in which case theta would eat you up. Plus the negative gamma is a risk as well.

#26     Feb 16, 2012
  7. Dude, you have to remember that in the real mkt out there, there's nasty things like transaction costs, slippage, gaps, etc. All these things will drown whatever juice you expect to extract through vomma/vanna/vera/zomma/ultima/zumba/etc scalping.

#27     Feb 16, 2012
  8. TskTsk

TskTsk

Well, those things will always be a factor regardless of strategy used. How much problems they cause in vomma scalping depends on size traded, target per scalp etc. Just like with any strategy.

#28     Feb 16, 2012
  9. These things are always a factor, indeed... However, you need to realize that the effect of these adverse factors on your PNL will vary. For example, riddle me this. We all know what happens when you do the whole gamma scalping malarkey. What instruments do you intend to use for you "vomma scalping" strategy?

#29     Feb 16, 2012
  10. TskTsk

TskTsk

It's not something I am planning on doing anytime soon, I'm just looking into it along with a ton of other potential strategies. Wheter or not it works is another story, but it's an interesting concept at least worth looking into.

#30     Feb 16, 2012