Best way to learn Easylanguage?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by JWest0926, May 18, 2003.

1. I want to make the foray into program trading. I've been trading for a year now, and am convinced program trading is the only future. What is the best way to begin learning Tradestation's Easylanguage? Are there any great books/manuals out there?

2. TGregg

TGregg

The best way is to have an idea that you want to put into code, and then do it. There is no substitute for hands-on experience.

I came from a strong programming background, and picked up EL fairly quickly (although there are concepts in EL that do not exist in the traditional programming world), so YMMV. If you do not know any programming languages (we're not talking VCR "programming" but computers), you'll have a tougher time than I. If variables make you think of Algebra, you've a long (but interesting, IMO) road ahead of you. However, I am unable to advise you on any texts if you do not know how to code.

I would suggest you examine some of the functions and strategies that come with TS to see how they work.

3. Kermit

Kermit

JWest0926:
    You can try signing up for a one of TradeStation’s EasyLanguage Fluency and Advanced EasyLanguage seminars to get you started. Then, as TGregg mentioned, just do it and get hands-on experience. Experiment, and play with the code and see how you can express your ideas in that syntax. Also, join the TradeStationWorld’s EasyLanguage and EasyLanguage-DLL discussion forums to ask further questions and get answers and ideas from other programmers. Hope that can help you get on the road to program trading.

Kermit

4. Poundtherock, thanks for the great assistance. I've looked into Conways book and am looking for a cheaper used copy. I'll be downloading that TS manual momentarily.

Kermit, can you direct me to those discussion lists/forums? That would be great.

All this assistance is a huge help. Thanks guys, and any more rec's greatly appreciated!

JWest

5. Kermit

Kermit

6. Wow, thank you guys! ET is great because of people like all of you, so willing to share great knowledge!

I really appreciate the help and any more assistance greatly appreciated!

Jon

7. JWest0926,

Send me a private msg if you have some specific questions re. programming. While I don't consider myself to be an excellent programmer in EL, I have been at it for over 10 years and learned a few things along the way and besides, you might give me a useful idea.

DS

#10     May 19, 2003