best way to invest in gold?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by BuddhaTop, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Dental fillings :D

#11     Feb 26, 2004
  2. You used to get clipped buying and selling the physical product but these days things are much better.

#12     Feb 26, 2004
  3. Dental fillings is a great idea. I know what I can do, I'll post classified ads - "Will buy your gold tooth for top dollars" Then I can position myself to ride the precious metal bull market.

#13     Feb 26, 2004
  4. m22au

m22au

I understand your argument, but before I can make a sensical reply I'd like to know what you mean by "long term".

#14     Feb 26, 2004
  5. Long term being 20-30 years. If I'm worried about inflation, I'm buying TIPS. If i'm worried about a govt collapse, forget gold I'm planning an escape. If I'm living in Latin America, I'm growing drugs since they default or come close every so often that working for a living and investing is a joke.

#15     Feb 26, 2004
  6. CEF is my favorite. Pure exposure to Gold and Silver reserves.

#16     Feb 26, 2004
  7. I have been watching CEF for a while as well.

I have been looking at putting a little physical away as the price drops a little. I really like the Credit Suisse Ingot Cards. They are nicely packed in plastic with serial numbers for long term identification. However, I have popped a couple of emails to Credit Suisse First Boston...and they never bothered to answer.

Seems like the bullion dealers are not excited about giving a choice about whose bars I buy.

Anybody know a stable place to get the 1oz CSFB IngotCards?

Tnx!

#17     Feb 26, 2004
  8. Cutten

Cutten

CEF is a terrible investment right now. Why pay an 11% premium over assets? Just buy gold or silver futures. If size is an issue, buy the mini-futures traded on CBOT.

I really don't understand this preference for funds when you can get the raw asset so easily.

#18     Feb 26, 2004
  9. Cutten,
    I stand corrected. For me it works as my investment is of a small size, less than the exposure of a mini contract.

#19     Feb 26, 2004
  10. I agree....that is why I am watching it...not buying it. I watch about 10x more stuff than I own.

I wish I could say getting the form of bullion I prefer was easy...CSFB is not exactly advertising their product.

Hope one of you more experienced bullion buyers can offer another route to take.

Tnx!

#20     Feb 26, 2004