best way to get started programming?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by dividend, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Hello

I'm pretty new to automated trading

What is the best way to get started?

For example, if someone wanted to learn how to program in C, you might recommend they create a virtual machine, put Linux on it, install the developer tools, and start with a printf("hello world"); and that's how they can code their first sample program

This is a good recommendation because it does not have any major costs up front to learn.

What is the recommended way to do this with trading? Assuming I have decent Linux knowledge and a little bit of C programming experience... Looking for the path of lowest upfront costs and "best" "coding language" to learn...

Thanks

2. slacker

slacker

Computing for Data Analysis good intro to R.

free course just started this week on coursera.org

Also -- Computational Investing I covers the basics of Python to download and harvest web data. Not a bad start.

Hard work however.... But since you asked.

Good luck

3. vicirek

vicirek

start from the beginning; do broker search, platform search, feed search DMA search and check what technologies are available to hook up to markets then research those and choose one that suits you best.

4. Very easy answer. As crappy as it is once you get into the details, NinjaTrader likely is the lowest cost start - hard to beat 0.

From there you can go various ways, but even if Ninja turns sour on you fast (it did to me) the reasons will show you waht to look for and by then you have written some throw away code and got some basics.

From there you really have harder decisions to make - the hardest one is data. Without data you can not program and test strategies, and good data, over time, costs. Serious money.

5. If you're not 10 years old with a keen interest in programming computers then you'll never really learn .

Your question is like asking "how long does it take to learn Korean?" Answer: It takes a lifetime. If you're not immersed in it as a child you'll never really get beyond writing hello world programs.

6. 2rosy

2rosy

Not sure if linux or C helps but you're basically looking for event based programming. That's how most trading and market data APIs are structured for use.

7. nice bit of support you add... haha... i personally believe one can achieve most things they set their minds to.. not everyone needs to be brought up learning programming to do something productive with programming.. this is an extreme view.

8. bollocks. You do not need to get started as child to ensure success. There are some world glass rock guitarists who started strumming in their late teens/early 20s. Same applies to everything in life: If one has the passion and puts in the time and effort to learn something then age does not matter. But yes, its easier to learn stuff at a younger age, though age does not hinder anyone from being successful.

I started programming just a few years ago after/during a full-time career as professional trader and I would claim a very solid understanding in C++ and C#, C# probably on such level to write faster code than most average C++ programmers even when it comes to the network stack or other latency critical components.

Age is a dumb excuse.

9. +1000 yes!

10. vicirek

vicirek

One more thing to consider is what OS you want to use and how portable your code base will be in years ahead.

Decent Linux knowledge helps and C/C++ is again on the raise with new standard C++11.

Recent hoopla with Win8 and Microsoft constantly making changes to development environment make me wonder if sticking with Windows is good long term strategy.

If they are on the way to abandon desktop for WinRT with controlled application deployment by Microsoft and limits how application interacts with OS the choice of platform and language becomes more important at this point.

#10     Oct 1, 2013