Best way to get rid of my handles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gunslinger, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Raven

Raven

I showed your excessively high protein doesn't do anything of a genuine practical value for weight loss. You also way overstate the protein requirements of the avg person, and also of the althlete. What's more it is dangerous gamble over long term. You are so obviously old-school.. My high carb is catabolic only in your mind. ALL those animal products do contain at least some sat fat. Anytime you add sat fat to a diet you worsen lipids unless you are also concurrently losing weight. And even then they still may worsen. If you total chlesterol isn't under 150 you're bloodwork isn't "flawless". All this is BS anyway because the current literature considers high protein thermogenic diets to be risky, equivocal, and without merit overall. 50% cals from protein is eating esentially nutrionally devoid food sources other than B12 and fatty acids. Many of the foods you quoted are OVER 25% FAT yet you claim 50%protein/10% fat?? Impossible BS

#81     Aug 16, 2006
  2. You've only put a number on the thermic value of protein vs. carbohydrate digestion. Your 10% protein diet doesn't meet the fed's 1g/kg recommended intake of protein.

I stated the sources of my protein intake, not the breakdown. Now chicken breast and albacore tuna contain one quarter fat?

I guarantee your diet is lacking in complete proteins. Not too disconcerting for a 98lb weakling. Your 10% diet simply can't support your assertions.

My chol is 110.

#82     Aug 16, 2006

3. Well if you are young enough to stand the strain on your joints, running offers a lot of benefits.

I like using a treadmill.

Just don't ignore resistance training (weights).

One thing that I have noticed is that varying the exercise you do is important. If all you do is run, at some point the body will adapt. I do different things on different days.

By the way, NOT eating breakfast will slow your weight loss down
    you don't want to slow your metabolism, you want to speed it up.
    Just keep the calories on a per meal basis down to a reasonable level.

Good luck
    Steve

#83     Aug 16, 2006
  4. Mike -- running is fine, but stressful on the joints. All forms of aerobic exercise should be accompanied by antioxidant supplementation. I recommend r-ala, delta tocotrienol and idebenone. Mito-Gold is a product I use: http://geronova.com/mg.htm

As Steve mentioned, periodization is important, especially w.r.t. weight training.

#84     Aug 16, 2006
  5. I agree 110% with riskarb's dietary lifestyle plan. Matter of fact, I'd eat like the only pig in a trough if seated at his table.

My mostly Mediterranean background (Sicilian paternal side) created a lifelong diet of fresh vegetables and fruits, a ton of lean meats (trimmed beef, wild game, trimmed fowl, fish) with lots and lots of onions, garlic, citrus fruits and hot peppers seasoning.

The carbs are mostly complex: brown rice, whole grain breads, whole wheat pasta, dark beer (smile) and colored starchy vegetables.

I have four egg whites and one yolk for breakfast more days than not. Lots of skim milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, hard cheese... big portions of dairy products.

My extra fat intake is very, very low. Only olive oil, no deep-fried fast foods, no chips or "snacky stuff", no donuts (never had a Kreme as of yet) no garbage other than hard icecream in the summer. I'm a sucker for that... it is my one passion food.

I used to intake a lot of protein powder mixes when I was young and lifting hard, but sneaking up on 42yrs old now and backed waaay off the heavy benches & squats. Still lift a fair bit, run some wind sprints and ride bikes for moderate distance, among other outdoor activities. For years I had a weight room setup along with computers adjoining. Next year my office and weight room setup will be together once again.

Blood is excellent, cholesterol is very low and my family genetics are geared for longevity. If I stay off the horses and Harleys, might just make it to 100.

<b>riskarb</b>, if we're ever at the same event anywhere we'll be knocking tongs reaching for the exact-same foods on the buffet table together :>)

#85     Aug 17, 2006
  6. Over time, I have experimented with a combination of exercise and meal plans to achieve good health and still pretty much eat what I want, i.e., no hunger, while losing 80 pounds in the process. And, there's nothing better than a Clif Bar and cold glass of milk (skim or 1%) if you like your milk and cookies. Here's a sample menu:

Meal 1: Clif Bar, 1% milk (8 oz)
    Meal 2: One scoop chocolate whey protein, water (8 oz)
    Meal 3: Salmon burger on whole wheat English muffin
    Meal 4: One scoop whey protein, water (8 oz)
    Meal 5: Whole wheat pasta, turkey sausage, tomato sauce, salad
    Meal 6: 1/2 cup berries with Cool Whip Free
    Meal 7: Clif Bar, water

Amazingly enough, all of the above totals about 1800-2000 calories, and you're really only cooking twice per day (everything else takes less than 5 minutes). The chocolate whey protein mixed with water tastes like chocolate milk. One day of the week, I eat anything -- a small pizza, some ice cream, etc. Other meals include vegetable omelets and chicken fajitas with low carb wraps. I recommend the Trident Salmon Burgers from Costco sauteed in olive oil with a Thomas's Honey Wheat English Muffin and maybe a little hot sauce -- delicious.

The exercise program (which occurs 30 minutes before Meal 2 with Meal 3 one hour later):

Day 1: Upper body workout (5 exercises, 4 sets), 33 minutes elliptical trainer
    Day 2: 50 minutes treadmill (~3 miles)
    Day 3: Lower body workout (4 exercises, 4 sets), 33 minutes elliptical
    Day 4: 50 minutes elliptical trainer
    Day 5: Upper body workout (5 exercises, 4 sets), 33 minutes elliptical
    Day 6: 50 minutes treadmill
    Day 7: 50 minutes elliptical trainer

Upper body workout: Chest press, seated pec, overhead press, lateral raise, vertical row, lat pulldown, tricep extension, bicep curl

Lower body workout: Squats, leg extension, leg curl, calf raise, crunch

I like to vary the FreeMotion sets -- sometimes with no rest between sets, sometimes with drop sets, etc. The sets progress with weight increasing and reps decreasing (similar to the BFL program).

I take 1 multivitamin and 2 teaspoons of Carlson's Fish Oil with Lemon for the Omega 3's (don't use the gels because of the horrible fish burps, just get the pure bottled oil).

I look at the cardio routine now and think how the hell do I drag in my ass every day to do it? Well first, the exercise becomes a habit, and second more importantly, you can't go into the exercise thinking about the hard work. Mentally, I tell myself that I'm going to relax a bit that day, start off slow, but by the end of the routine the sweat is flying off -- you'll always end up challenging yourself anyways. The iPod probably improves output by about 20%. Without music, I watch the television or watch the people. Don't watch the clock.

So, given this routine, how would you improve it? Anything obviously wrong? I'm especially interested in supplementation.

#86     Aug 17, 2006
  7. Ensure you have a good fat intake of polyunsature and mono saturate fats, these will help drop fat.

Also, ensure eating at least every 3 or 4 hours, no longer than that. Your body will then start to reduce fat stores.

i go for a set up of about 40% protein, 40% carbs (majority complex) and 20% fat, with as low as possible saturated fat content.

I tell you though its hard work not to have handles, mine have come back, but then I am breaking into my 40s now.

#87     Aug 20, 2006
  8. Okay so I weighed in on aUG 21, at 181lbs 5'10".

I worked out 3 days on 1 off 3 days on. Two body parts a day, each part twice a week. Treadmill 4x (24mins avg 6.0), abs 3x week.

Diet- 5 meals, breakfast usually granola and yogurt; snack usually PBJ or carnation breakfast drink; lunch turkey or chicken; snack protein shake/bar; dinner salad, veg turkey, chicken or fish

1/2 gallon water/day

weighed myself today down to 180 (still 5'10") but lost a belt size.

Any comments?

#88     Aug 28, 2006
  9. Yeah.
    I feel puffed out just reading that. "Phew".

#89     Aug 28, 2006
  10. muscle is more compact than fact, you'll look trimmer, but not necessarily drop much weight. You're onto a good thing!

#90     Aug 28, 2006