Best way to get rid of my handles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gunslinger, Jul 29, 2006.

1. lol, oops. 25 cals burned via digestion for every 100 cals of protein that are consumed. 10 cals per 100 cals of carbs.

#71     Aug 16, 2006
  2. Some tips that will enhance your program if you don't want to do cyclic ketogenic diets (and I can't say I blame anyone for not wanting to do these):

*weight train or do some aerobics first thing upon rising without eating breakfast or anything else first

*higher carbs post workout, and on workout days, and low/lower carbs on non-workout days

*low-intesity aerobics after all carbs for the day have been consumed (brisk walking is good here), late in the evening, followed by protein only meal, then bedtime.

*stick to low glycemic carbs (just Google in "glycemic index" and you'll get lists of low-glycemic foods)

*eat a mixed protein/carb meal immediately after weight training to enhance recovery

Basically, you can apply a cyclic approach to both carb intakes and overall caloric intakes - higher on weight training days, lower on non-weight training days.

Try to be a "grazer" rather than consuming the 1-3 meals daily that most people do.

Best wishes!

#72     Aug 16, 2006
  3. I'd be careful doing this one. I would do some research to show if there is really any benefits of doing this. I used to do that, and I found it hindered the session. Think of it this way: You sleep for 8 hours or so, during this time you are literally fasting that whole time. That's why they call it breakfast ( break-the- fast). Which is literally the most important meal of the day, but that's another discussion. Then you're going to wake up and demand your body to perform strenous weight training?? Just doesn't make sense. The chances of your body using the stored fat as energy during the exercise session is slim ( no pun intended).

Remember, the more muscle you build the more calories you burn. The more calories you burn, the better the chance of loosing stored body fat. However, the more muscle you want to build the more calories you have to eat. This is the fine line that must be traveled.

#73     Aug 16, 2006
  4. I have a question with this, I currently never eat breakfast, in fact, most days I am usually up at 5:30ish and I dont eat until 1 or 2pm, sometimes even later in the day (work keeps me overly occupied to think about food). What I find happens when I do eat in the morning is I am slower and more lethargic, it seems like my energy levels are just much lower over the course of the day.

A few cups of coffee with cream and sugar is usually all I eat in the first half of the day... seems to work fine in terms of calorie/caffiene intake, but, there seems to be a consensus out there that says this is one of the unhealthiest things you can do. Well, I feel great, I'm pretty lean and have great energy, maybe its just a case of everyone's metabolism being slightly different?

Also, Riskarb and steve46, what are your thoughts on running being the best form of weight maintenance/loss?

#74     Aug 16, 2006
  5. Raven

Raven

So, assuming your figures are correct
    (you won't provide proof):

2000 cal High Protein Diet -

30% Protein = 150 cals
    40% carb = 80 cals

2000 cal High Carb Diet -

10% Protein = 50 cals
    60% carb = 120 cals

60 cals more burned per day in digestion between these extremes, and that's being generous.

That's one chocolate chip cookie.

A high price to pay to trash your lipids on the high protein IMO.

#75     Aug 16, 2006
  6. I would say that everyone is different, but it would all depend on WHAT you are eating for breakfast. If you're eating donuts or anything like that it, the sugar will spike your insulin and make you feel good for a while but you will crash and crash hard. Kind of like when you drink coffee you feel good for a while, but once it starts to wear off you feel like crap and feel the need for another one. I dont drink coffee, if you need caffeine in the AM, I would look into green tea. Also, you might of "trained" your body to expect only coffee in the am, and not food. So when actual food is substituted, the body goes through withdrawal, causing you to feel sluggish. It would appear that the food is causing this feeling, but its just a coincidence.

One of my favorites to eat for breakfast is oatmeal with peanut butter and a protein shake. I like the mix whey and ceasin (sp?) protein. Whey is digested by the body faster and ceasin takes longer. As for the oatmeal, its a very good source of complex carbs. I like to eat alot of complex carbs in the AM, but as the day progresses I taper them off. Why? Because I know that the bodies main source of fuel is carbs, and if im going to be sitting around the rest of the day I dont want these excess carbs. Excess carbs is stored as fat.

Also remember, a person should not eat 2 or 3 giant meals. A person should eat through out the day, even if they are not hungry. Remember, if you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Its kind of an oxy-moron, why would I drink water if I'm not thirsty, well so you dont get thirty. Same goes for eating.

#76     Aug 16, 2006
  7. Trash your lipids? You are truly clueless... Where is the remaining 30%? Fat? You don't believe the remaining 30% requires digestive E-output??

A 50% protein diet is easy to maintain and doesn't involve ketosis nor does it negatively-impact HDL/LDL.

2400 cals /2 =
    1200 calories protein *.25 =
    300 cals

This assumes a 1:1 intake:BMR. My BMR is 2400. 300 cals due to protein digestion exceeds 10% of my BMR, and excludes the caloric req to burn the remaining 1200 cals. An additional 120 cals at the 10% number, or 420 net caloric expenditure. My diet is roughly 50/40/10.

#77     Aug 16, 2006
  8. Raven

Raven

I didn't incluse the FAT E-output because we are comparing protein : carb ratio's.

50%P = 300 cals
    40%C = 96 cals
    10%F = 12 cals

10%P = 60 cals
    80%C = 192 cals
    10%F = 12 cals

154 cals net diff per day. And that's generous because most people have BMR's well below 2000. A little more than a pound more lost per month with this highly restrictive nutritionally unsound diet. Big F deal IMO.

And what are you eating that is 50% protein but only 10% FAT??

#78     Aug 16, 2006

9. I'd like to hear how a protein-rich diet lowers HDL/LDL per your bullshit lipid argument. Yeah, 154 cals protein/carb. I never stated that the expenditure would make you thin, simply that there is a benefit. My original post makes note of the fact that total expenditure, not the protein/carb ratio, can account for 10% of BMR under a high-protein diet. I'll take >1000 weekly calories in metabolic-burn over the catabolism that accompanies your diet. It's 15lbs a year. The caloric expenditure is a benefit, but overwhelmed by the benefits to LBM.

I get the majority of my protein from beans/legumes and lean meat. Lentil soup, fat free refried beans, peanuts/almonds, fish and chicken. No saturated fats; all sources are Omega 3s and 6s. I supplement with a complete protein[egg white] twice a day and drink at least a gallon of water. I get 100g of daily protein from the egg white shake; 100g, 0g fat, 6g carbs. My bloodwork is flawless.

#79     Aug 16, 2006
  10. maxpi

maxpi

This breakfast question bothers me. To eat one or not, to work out before or not. My understanding of digestion is that food spends 3 to 4 hours in the stomach before it gets to the small intestine where nutrients are extracted. If that is the case then digestion and exercise can be largely unbundled. True, you can get some nutrition into your blood stream directly by sublingual absorption but that is minor amounts of select items.

#80     Aug 16, 2006