Best Way To Destroy Data on Hard Disk Drive

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by CPTrader, Aug 13, 2008.

1. GTS

GTS

Perhaps you missed this follow-up post:

"I can't physically damage the drive as I am returning it to a vendor."

#31     Aug 14, 2008
  2. Tums

Tums

Buy a new disk... swap it into the computer.
    You get to keep the old disk... and its confidential data.
    Cost = $80. That's the cheapest, most convenient, and most secure solution available.

#32     Aug 14, 2008
  3. Ollie, is that you?
    :D

#33     Aug 14, 2008
  4. Thanks GTS for coming to my defense.

I can't physically damage the computer drive as I am retuning it to the manufacturer.

It seems there are many votes for DBAN and similar software. But then again there are frequent comments indicating that save for physically damaging the drive, risks remain. So what to do given that I can't physically destroy the drive?

My fear is of the vendor reselling the drive and somebody knowingly or unknowingly recovering some of my supposedly "deleted/destroyed" data.

Any further thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

Many Thanks to all.

#34     Aug 14, 2008
  5. DBAN writes multiple passes of random data to the whole disk. It would take the NSA 10^9 years to recover any data and they'd need a scanning electron microscope to do it.

Don't worry, it can't be recovered.

#35     Aug 14, 2008
  6. gwac

gwac

I got a few labtops that have stopped working for various reasons. Before I throw themout. I should open them up and
    find the hard drive and destroy that. Is that the only thing needed to be done to be safe?

TIA

#36     Aug 14, 2008
  7. I believe the best tool for destroying a labtop is a bunson burner.

:D

#37     Aug 14, 2008
  8. scanning tunneling microscope recovery techniques

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut0...secure_del.html
    For this reason it is effectively impossible to sanitise storage locations by simple overwriting them, no matter how many overwrite passes are made or what data patterns are written. However by using the relatively simple methods presented in this paper the task of an attacker can be made significantly more difficult, if not prohibitively expensive.

In the time since this paper was published, some people have treated the 35-pass overwrite technique described in it more as a kind of voodoo incantation ...

however.....

with the ever-increasing data density on disk platters and a corresponding reduction in feature size and use of exotic techniques to record data on the medium, it's unlikely that anything can be recovered from any recent drive except perhaps one or two levels via basic error-cancelling techniques. In particular the the drives in use at the time that this paper was originally written have mostly fallen out of use, so the methods that applied specifically to the older, lower-density technology don't apply any more. Conversely, with modern high-density drives, even if you've got 10KB of sensitive data on a drive and can't erase it with 100% certainty, the chances of an adversary being able to find the erased traces of that 10KB in 80GB of other erased traces are close to zero.

also.....

http://driveslag.eecue.com/
    Due to the recent MIT study concerning data recovery from old hard drives, we decided that the only fool proof means of data removal was complete destruction of the disk platters.

#38     Aug 14, 2008
  9. If you do a half-assed job of destroying the HD, bits and pieces of data can be read off the remains: I suggest igniting thermite over the HD.

#39     Aug 14, 2008
  10. If I use DBAN, it deletes the entire HDD, which means when I return the computer to the vendor, they won't even be able to boot the computer and probably prompt them to deny my refund. How can I avoid this? I only want to get rid of my document folders?

Thanks.

#40     Aug 14, 2008